Subaru Ascent Forum banner

2 infant car seats rear facing in 3rd row?

22K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  Trey T 
I'm not suggesting it to be absolute, but in most cases. If any proposed seating configuration makes the parents feeling safe, then they should trust themselves. However, I'm not here to debate about how people feel because the information that they received, likely from Google, are result of a univariate analysis.

To square-out the numbers/ages, it's unlikely that you have a family w/ three kids under 3yrs old. Therefore, the 3rd row serves its purpose well for vast majority of the families, if not all in our country.

The objective should be about risk tolerance; how one tolerate the risk of being injured while the car is in motion and not in motion. The risk tolerance should always be consistent, and to unpack or reach the said objective, I think it will be a long conversation. To make it effective, let's trigger some of your thoughts thru the following scenario and question (assuming kids under 3yrs old):

-when the first child arrived, we tend to put them in the middle-seat of the 2nd row of these mid-size or compact CUV/SUV. When the second kid comes out, we have to place them by the windows (or at least one of them), assuming that this configuration is less safe. Why is the first kid more important, in terms of safety, than the second kid?

I think in the given hypothetical scenario, the risk tolerance is consistent as best as it can be given the two different scenarios. When there's one kid, put him in the 2nd row center. When there are two kids to consider, do what's best and put them in the 2nd row outboard seats.

"Why is the first kid more important, in terms of safety, than the second kid?" It's been more than 20 years since I took philosophy 101, but this seems like it might fall under one of the logical fallacies.

From the Sorento video...

That's quite an interesting take, that there's a sub-category to the 3-row mid-size CUVs. What's more interesting is that the Ascent is in between the two sub-categories because of the accessibility (a limitation) to the 3-row (w/ car seats).

It's quite interesting assessment but it's something I'll have to ponder about to agree with his evaluation.
I enjoy watching Alex on Autos on YouTube, but that whole part of him talking about the sub-categories did seem questionable. It's too bad that these reviewers' comments can't be edited like in actual printed media. I think Alex would have edited what he said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.