Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded from an Impreza to an Ascent. All my accessories fit my old 1.25 in receiver. I know they have adapters but was just wondering if anyone had actually used one and could send my a link. Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
No I don't but that's of no consequence because all of them are not exactly the same dimensions (these are not precisely engineered devices) Some hitches rattle, some don't. No way to find out until you install it. But if it is loose then you can add one of those anti-rattle clamps to stop it.. just like for any hitch.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I prefer a simple reducer sleeve as it maintains the distance of the rack behind the vehicle. Something like this:

How does you bike mount do anti rattle now? If it's a bolt type hitch pin, it'll work with this reducer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a Thule rack and it has the bolt thread in to attach. My worry about rattle was from adding another link to the chain of mounting any accessories. Thanks for the tips!

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I have a Thule rack and it has the bolt thread in to attach. My worry about rattle was from adding another link to the chain of mounting any accessories. Thanks for the tips!
It definitely adds rattle to mine. I have the Thule Aero 9043Pro (get the older discontinued model if you can... "Pro" means "worse and cheaper" - though it's still a good bike rack).

It fits well in the 2" receiver. Because of my spare tire, I bought a reducer and removed the 1.25" to 2" block on the Thule. The result is a not square shaft that's barely over an inch, meaning that you have to crank down the lock bar. I think they did a horrible job on the hitch connection design. They should have used a 1.25" shaft, a slide on 2" adapter, and a standard hole so one could use a locking hitch pin.

Regardless, if your model supports the Thule 2" adapter, I'd suggest that you get and use that instead of a 2" to 1.25" hitch adapter.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have a Thule rack and it has the bolt thread in to attach. My worry about rattle was from adding another link to the chain of mounting any accessories.
If you mean a bolt that replaces the hitch pin, it will work as well at preventing rattle and rack movement with the sleeve type reducer I suggested.

Some racks have a knob at the end of the adapter that expands a wedge or forces out a ball to prevent rattle. These also often have a spring loaded pin the engages the hitch pin hole. These types of racks won't work with the sleeve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.