Subaru Ascent Forum banner

2 inch lift kit

51K views 95 replies 31 participants last post by  Robert.Mauro 
#1 ·
Anyone ever install lp aventure lift kit? I’m located here in souther California anyone recommend another lift kit and also an installer nearby ? Looking to add the the lift kit and some kmc wheels 708 18” with falken wildpeak a/t. Let me know your suggestions or different combination setup. Thanks. Not too much of an off reader doing this mainly for aesthetics. Love this forum and all the help.

#4 ·
Anyone ever install lp aventure lift kit? I’m located here in souther California anyone recommend another lift kit and also an installer nearby ? Looking to add the the lift kit and some kmc wheels 708 18” with falken wildpeak a/t. Let me know your suggestions or different combination setup. Thanks. Not too much of an off reader doing this mainly for aesthetics. Love this forum and all the help.

I am interested in the LP lift kit too. My only concern at this point is warranty coverage after the lift.
I am interested in the LP lift kit too. My only concern at this point is warranty coverage after the lift.
That’s my issue as well. I’m waiting to see how this CVT issue some folks are having, shakes out. Having a lifted vehicle would definitely give SOA an out.
You both make a great point. I assumed it was a more legit lift kit being that two Subaru dealerships here in so cal are authorized to install them. I’ve been “hearing” hearing about this transmission cvt problem, but what’s the most recent findings today? Have these been affecting more recent models that have been released. Keep me in the know. Much appreciated. Just ordered and paid for the tires and wheels today. Yikes.

#5 · (Edited)
You both make a great point. I assumed it was a more legit lift kit being that two Subaru dealerships here in so cal are authorized to install them. I’ve been “hearing” hearing about this transmission cvt problem, but what’s the most recent findings today? Have these been affecting more recent models that have been released. Keep me in the know. Much appreciated. Just ordered and paid for the tires and wheels today. Yikes.
The trans problems are build related. Not Lift. I work closely with ADF. (Anderson Design Fabrication) LP Adventures seems to have in-roads with dealer installed lifts. However, ADF is a dealer for the CVT mount inserts I make. Just about every other Subaru model/platform develops a driveline vibration due to the lift.

I have fixed countless LP Adventures customers cars...Outbacks, Foresters and Crosstreks with the insert after lift.

However, neither the lift or the insert affect the build issue with the CVTs you have read about here.

#13 ·
Does the LP kit have a rear subframe drop or is it just strut spacers.

BTW the reason the car feels more planted is because of the wheels and a different offset. You all still have the same springs and sway bars and bushings. the lift has nothing to do with stability. In fact I would argue you can only have more body roll without upgrading springs, sway bars or sway bar bushings. The center of gravity has been raised, it's simple physics. the only other factor besides "placebo" is the wheel package.

Lifting rule of thumb, when you go up ... you also need to go out...unless you upgrade your sway bar bushings to something stiffer you have more body roll, but with a wider track and more rubber ... it feels more stable.

#15 · (Edited)
I wouldn't recommend it necessarily AT ALL (the CVT insert) unless the symptoms show themselves. Even though this "wobble" affects Outbacks, Foresters and Crosstreks. It very well might not affect Ascents in the same way. It's important to know if the Ascent lifts have a rear subframe drop. Usually if the rear subframe location stays the same and the lift is achieved by strut spacers only, I would NOT expect "wobble" in a new car.

After the CV axles get worn in and the mount gets 30K miles on it, then if it gets lifted ... you might. But this would be cause the CV axles changed and angles and will transfer vibration to a mount that has softened up.

I certainly am not trying to invent a problem. Far from it. I am trying to source information. I have had 2 of my customers take their inserts out. They bought the inserts with the lift, in preparation of having the "wobble". They didn't. One was a simple strut spacer lift. The other was a Subtle Solutions lift with all kinds of drops and correction.

I think any of the lifted rigs are going to benefit from the sway bar bushings. A lifted car and bigger tires will start to destroy the stock rubber.

#17 ·
Need to know...

Here's some more to know about Chris as a person. Back in December, I was working on raising money for Make-A-Wish for the 48hrs of Tristate Subaru Enthusiasts Charity Drive. We got a very late start because Make-A-Wish was upgrading their platform, so, it was going to be a tough year.

Chris offered to donate every dollar of profit from all of his sales from the forum, right to the date of the charity drive. And then he plugged that publicly in these groups, and begged people to also donate on their own. Repeatedly. I can confirm that donation after donation came in from him, whether people posted publicly in this forum or not about their purchase. And then he kept on for a few more weeks, since we kept the donations open (tough year, so, we tried squeezing in a couple more weeks).

So, add that to "all (you) need to know". :tango_face_wink:

That's the kind of person he is.

#22 ·
Brian I was quoted here in SoCal roughly 1800 total. They supplied the lift kit and they also powder coated your brake calipers for you also an alignment. They were one of the shops recommended as an installer through lp aventure. So not just some mom and pops shop. I did not end up going lp aventure. I went with adf and am very very pleased. There is also subtle solutions, Primitive racing, and I believe one more I can’t remember off the top of my head. But look up at all of them and see what suits you best. Good luck.

#26 ·
I had my 2020 Touring installed with the LP Aventure 2" lift, front Bumper bar and skid plate. I also used Chris's CKE SSP Bushings. Had Jonathan at Katy Extreme Performance install everything. My Subaru dealer does not do that and Katy was closer. Also did Black Rhino Mozambique Rims and Nitto Ridge Grapplers for the tires. Also did several other things. Total for parts and labor for everything done was about 7K. Took 5 days. Rides much smoother and better. No floating feeling. Love it.

#34 ·
Brian,

Not to step on Chuck's shoes, but I lifted my Ascent Touring back in November of 2018 and went with Black Rhino Mozambique wheels in gloss black with milled spokes in 18 x 8.5 +35 and Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires in 265/60R18. Zero calibration issues, TPMS works, much better ride, no rear-end floating (as others have complained about), vehicle feels more planted, and zero EyeSight, headlight, or MPH issues. Everything works like a champ. (Details here --> Alan's Garage)

Just got back from the dealer after getting its first scheduled maintenance once-over and wash/shine. Odometer at 4475 total miles. This is the cleanest it's been since I got it. LOL! Even my service advisor said he loved the look of the 2" lift!

Here it is when I first did the project back in Nov 2018 with Gillman Subaru Southwest and right before I left the lot as it officially got turned over to me. (I told them what I wanted done, gave them part numbers, company contact info, they ordered, and then installed prior to me taking possession of the vehicle. I wanted it all done before I rolled out!)

#38 ·
Alan: The lift kits/black wheels really nice. You did not have to re-calibrate Eyesight? I read the Motor Trend's test of the new Outback and there was a small paragraph stating Eyesight is calibrated for the stock vehicle height.

#41 ·
I suspect that notice is more of a CYA kind of thing and pushed by their legal team. (Assuming, of course, the notice is actually real and not just of interwebz lore and legend.)

Regardless of the notice, both my local Subaru dealers sell factory warrantied and lifted vehicles (mostly Crosstreks) right off the showroom floor. Saw a lifted Crosstrek actually being showcased with all kinds of aftermarket parts, lift, wheels, tires, kayak carrier, etc at my local dealer yesterday morning. Yes, it was for sale.

The dealer who did my work was the first to do a lift, new wheels, and tires on an Ascent. They included an addendum to my contract stating they'd warranty any work and/or parts post-install (both related and unrelated to lift, wheels, or tires). EyeSight and all other systems still work perfectly on my vehicle. I've tested them and had things happen on my drive home which have initiated the safety systems. Zero issues, so I'm not worried at all.

I'm lucky that my local dealers are willing to sell, work on, and promote lifted Subaru vehicles and are "warranty friendly" when it comes to maintenance.

YMMV

#44 ·
"May affect" is important wording. Any effect to the warranty has to be within the law and doing a "modification" or putting on aftermarket parts can only affect coverage for something that specifically damages or negatively impacts some vehicle function. The law is pretty clear on that. IE, an aftermarket product on the suspension cannot invalidate a warranty on the entertainment system.

I also concur that the letter/statement posted is CYA-focused and it's certainly appropriate for Subaru to ask their dealer network not to be involved in non-Subaru approved modifications/parts unless Subaru holds no risk. The easiest way to comply with that request is simply for a Subaru dealer to refuse to install them.

#46 ·
Was looking at that same product, vs. the LP brand. Seems more cost effective but concerned with the lack of detailed instructions. Will you be installing yourself or taking it in to have it done? I was looking at the "how to" youtube for the LP brand, seems like something I could follow and do myself with some extra hands? I imagine the RL kit would install same/similar?

#48 ·
Hi all,

I installed the lift kit from LP Adventure this past weekend and just wanted to share my experience for those on the fence. I communicated with LP Adventure before ordering the kit and their customer service was fantastic. They provided immediate responses to my questions and even threw in a small discount on my purchase. They shipped the same day I ordered. Shipping took right at 8 days, which is about what I was told it would be, but was free. With a heavy package like this, I'll call that a win.

The instructions provided by LPA are some of the best I've seen. Every step had at least one high quality photo included, with most showing a before and after view of that particular step. Torque settings for the bolts were also included, as was a list of exactly which and what size tools were needed. The one thing I would have preferred (if you give a mouse a cookie...) is if the torque settings had been included alongside the actual install steps, rather than on a single separate page that you have to crosscheck. Wrench sizes would have been helpful there, too. I took the time to record that info on each of the pages of the guide I printed though, and I hope to add it to the PDF to share here for whoever might find it useful. Even with the separate pages, it was very easy to find the required settings and checking through one or two wrong wrench sizes didn't waste much time. All in all, I give the installation guide an easy 5 stars.

I'm no mechanic, and I've only performed minor wrenching on my vehicles in the past (hitch installation, simple engine repair, audio, etc.). Since our Ascent is my wife's daily, and she hauls our 1yr old around in it, I absolutely didn't want to risk safety. I was a little nervous before beginning, but I was fully confident in the work done at the end of this job. I did have the help of a friend with a pretty great home shop, but we were able to complete most steps with a basic mechanic's tool set plus a torque wrench. The extra set of hands was extremely valuable, but I think it could be done solo by folks with moderate experience.

The rear is significantly more complex than the front, but still very manageable. We worked on a leisurely Saturday morning and took our time enjoying the job. All in, we worked on the install for about 5 hours, starting at the front left and moving back. The front left took about an hour and then the front right took all of 20 minutes with the remainder of time being spent on the rear. As most of you already know, Subaru does a pretty great job of keeping their vehicles accessible for DIY stuff, and that combined with LPA's guide made the install simple and enjoyable.

Before the install, I did get quotes from two local shops. Sight unseen, their quotes were both in the $700-$900 range for the install alone. After having done the job myself, I'm glad to have not spent that money. Now I can put that money towards a swing out spare carrier! I did have all 4 wheels aligned two days after the install, which I strongly recommend. The LP kit does a great job of maintaining geometry, but there was still a slight toe-in issue that was resolved with the alignment. I went through our local Discount Tire, and they gave me a voucher for half off the alignment at a shop down the street, so it worked out well.

I ended up going with the 18" KMC Bullies and Falken AT3W in 265/60/r18. I know this is nothing new on Ascents, but I loved the look. Maybe more importantly, so did my wife.

The ride with the new setup is great. It's still just as smooth as it as before, but the steering feels like it's gotten a little tighter, which I'm really happy about. Prior to the changes, it felt a little like steering a boat to me. That said, I'm comparing it to my WRX and an Xterra, so it's understandably different.

Now for the most important part of this long and rambly post - pictures!

#55 ·
I haven't noticed any decrease in acceleration. The vehicle still feels peppy, but I haven't really goosed it all out. I'm still under the 1,000 break-in period. I also haven't noticed any more sway. In fact, I really think the handling is better now. That could be in my head, but I feel like the steering is tighter, which I appreciate.

Do you notice any low speed vibrations felt through the seat when accelerating to above 20mph? Most all other lifted Subaru's exhibit what the Outback community has called "the wobbles".

Just throwing it out there. If you do start experience any vibrations, which is more the normal than not, the CKE cvt mount insert will help to quell them.
I do feel a very slight vibration on harder accelerations that was not noticeable before. It's not bothersome or unsettling, but it's there. @traildogck, how intense is the CVT mount install? Have you sold many of these for the Ascent?

My wife (it's her daily) really appreciates how smooth the ride is overall, especially compared to her old Xterra, so I hesitate to replace the sway bar bushings. I might be understanding the concept incorrectly, but it sounds like that would stiffen up the ride a bit, wouldn't it?

Yes please post the torque specs for all the bolts. I also wonder how much your mileage is affect with those truck tires?
I won't be a good judge of the difference in mileage. We only had about 550 miles on the clock before the upgrades. From all I've read, those first few tanks don't produce nearly the same mpg as the ones down the line. After I get a few thousand miles on the setup, I'll provide my numbers for comparison.

#50 ·
@JBird

Do you notice any low speed vibrations felt through the seat when accelerating to above 20mph? Most all other lifted Subaru's exhibit what the Outback community has called "the wobbles".

Just throwing it out there. If you do start experience any vibrations, which is more the normal than not, the CKE cvt mount insert will help to quell them.

@TheLex brings up my next offering. After raising the center of gravity and installing more unsprung weight, (wheels and tires) performance sway bar bushing could be to your advantage. Look me up if you want any more details.

#51 ·
A 1in lift seems to do that with the Ascent.

#58 ·
Ooh, I am so looking forward to seeing the results.

Hope to see you during my off roading and overlanding events the next time I am out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.