Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First-time poster, long time reader!

Purchased my Blue Ascent Limited in January and currently have 2,000 miles on the clock. Planning to drive to Disneyworld from NJ and then return via Nashville which will be approx. 2,700 miles. I obviously have the 3yr/36k roadside assistance through Subaru but I was wondering if anyone supplements that coverage with AAA or some other type? I want to be prepared for the long haul.

Any other tips from fellow Ascent owners? We plan to purchase some headrest-mounted DVD players off Amazon to keep the kids entertained and will be leaving early in the morning to avoid traffic, as best as possible. I also have the large Thule cargo carrier accessory which I added to the purchase with this trip solely in mind. Installed it yesterday after taking it off for the winter and forgot how massive it is, should give us plenty of extra space behind the third row!

Appreciate your feedback and all the great information on this forum. Cheers

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
As I recall the Subaru road side assistance will tow the vehicle to only certain destinations. The AAA and some equivalents will tow it anywhere within a certain mileage identified in the contract.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts
I've been an AAA member since I got my first vehicle in the late 1970s. Vehicle manufacturer road-side assistance comes and goes with the vehicle and while it's certainly appreciated being in the benefits package, I prefer a more universal setup for this. I've certainly paid more for the service over the years than I used it, but it's "insurance" and that's to be expected. Some of that is made up for via discounts and they recently won my auto/home/umbrella insurance coverage because of outstanding rates, too.

Reactions: woodcan

·
Registered
421 Posts
... currently have 2,000 miles on the clock. Planning to drive to Disneyworld from NJ and then return via Nashville which will be approx. 2,700 miles.
Won't affect your trip, but by the time you get back you will be only 1300 miles from your 6K service. If your dealership is anything like mine, maybe get that service on their calendar now while you have the luxury of picking a good day?

F.S.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... currently have 2,000 miles on the clock. Planning to drive to Disneyworld from NJ and then return via Nashville which will be approx. 2,700 miles.
Won't affect your trip, but by the time you get back you will be only 1300 miles from your 6K service. If your dealership is anything like mine, maybe get that service on their calendar now while you have the luxury of picking a good day?

F.S.
Thats a fair point although my wife only averages 500 miles a month! I am mindful not to go over the 6 month limit for the first oil change

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll probably pull the trigger on AAA just in case. I'll be sure to come back here and give a review of how the car held up. I don't get to drive it as much as I would like so I'm looking forward to several hours behind the wheel

·
Registered
978 Posts
Skip the dvd players. Just down load some Netflix and or Amazon Prime video on ipads. We junked the dvds and player 5 yrs ago.

My kids ar 7 and 9. Both also get free audio library books on the ipads. Last long trip both listed to a book interspersed with their video choices. My 7 yr old is way into Planet Earth videos and is a walking animal facttician lol.

My 9 yr old has been into kids shows lately.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll probably pull the trigger on AAA just in case. I'll be sure to come back here and give a review of how the car held up. I don't get to drive it as much as I would like so I'm looking forward to several hours behind the wheel
Have fun & safe travels! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Appreciate your feedback and all the great information on this forum. Cheers
I picked up my touring Ascent and then the next day drove it 19 hours straight, PA to FL, spent a week, and drove straight back. I went straight through both ways as the only driver, stopping only for gas. We have twin toddlers who were 2, and were in the mid-row captains chairs. Our older son (11) was in the third row, on the larger side. We kept the other half of row 3 folded down and ours was filled to the ceiling (carefully and safely) with luggage for the five of us (wife in front passenger seat). If the Limited has the rear-view camera for your mirror, I found that great. I am used to stuffing a car so the rear view is useless, then having to make due with side mirrors, but not having to do that was super cool. Adaptive cruise, lane warnings and lane nudges were nice to have, too. Heated and ventilated seats!

Anyway, it was a fantastic trip and the car was comfortable.

When we got to FL, the sun through the glass was cooking the toddlers and making them cranky until we realized what was up and closed the cover.

·
Super Moderator
3,886 Posts
Only the Touring has the rear-view camera feature...and I also love it. (with or without cargo)

·
Registered
684 Posts
BTW
if you have AT&T you can add
AT&T Roadside Assistance to your line
$2.99 per month

AT&T Roadside Assistance

Roadside Assistance
Just a heads-up…This feature must be active for at least 24 hours before you use these included services:
Towing (for mechanical failures).
Battery service or a jump-start.
Flat-tire assistance.
Out-of-gas fuel delivery (up to three gallons of gas or diesel).
Lockout assistance.
Key replacement.
Cancel anytime via the myAT&T app or at www att com/myatt

·
Registered
418 Posts
One tip I have is, if you can, try to plan to fill up with gas in South Carolina and Alabama. My family makes the trek from the Washington DC area to Panama City FL a few times a year, and SC and Bama consistently have lower gas prices than the surrounding states, especially SC.

·
Registered
567 Posts

AAA has many other advantages and discounts. The towing, etc. is on you personally, not the vehicle. From their website: "AAA charges annual membership fees to their members and covers you as long as you are in the car. It does not matter whether it is your own car, a rental car, you are driving a friend's car, or you're simply riding in someone's car."

This includes running out of gas, etc. They have discounts (10%) at many retail & restaurants as well at motels, etc. With the SOA product, you can be assured that the RIGHT vehicle will be sent for a tow and that they will know how to do it. AWD is different than what some tow companies are use to or they may not even have the proper truck bed to load it on.

So, there are benefits to both products.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I believe the SOA Roadside Assistance also will tow you to the nearest Subie Dealer, which is better than just a "local mechanic" ...

Make sure you tow it properly - all four wheels up on the truck, not one of those trucks that let the rears hang down, or you can kiss your center diff goodbye!

·
Super Moderator
3,886 Posts
Make sure you tow it properly - all four wheels up on the truck, not one of those trucks that let the rears hang down, or you can kiss your center diff goodbye!
This is absolutely true. If a "regular" tow truck arrives rather than a roll-back, be sure they have the dolly setup to get the other end of the vehicle up off the road. Most do, but...

·
Registered
92 Posts
One tip I have is, if you can, try to plan to fill up with gas in South Carolina and Alabama. My family makes the trek from the Washington DC area to Panama City FL a few times a year, and SC and Bama consistently have lower gas prices than the surrounding states, especially SC.

And SC has the sh*tty roads commensurate with their low gas tax!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Been to Disney from Philadelphia twice in our touring model. No problems. We put the roof bars on and bought a cheaper version of the Thule for luggage and that worked out great. Had a pretty large adult in the 3rd row on both trips with no complaints. We had a DVD player with 2 screens for the granddaughter which worked great. Only averaged about 22 mpg which I thought we’d do better. The hood looks like it might fly off but you get used to it! Mine hesitates at all the wrong times so watch out for that! The eyesight works great. Nice smooth cruise control with it on the assist mode thing. Seats need cushions for long rides, if you have any body issues at all. Have a great trip!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Returned from our road trip. 2,850 miles all up. The Ascent was a dream, not a single issue and the car was SO comfortable to drive, even when loaded with 6 people and around 300lbs of luggage for our short hop over from Daytona Beach to Orlando, we couldn't fit another item in the car and it certainly was a sight to see!

Miles per Gallon
Drove straight through from NJ to FL, 19 hours total and a surprising MPG of 29.5. The return trip was a little lower as heading through some hills no I-24 in TN resulted in 24.5 MPG.

Adaptive Cruise Control
I'm a huge fan of the ACC although it was a little frustrating that the up/down speed adjustment is in 5MPH increments which didn't always fall in best with the flow of traffic. 1MPH increments would be nice but you can overcome by resetting your cruise speed with your current speed each time if you want in between e.g. 72MPH instead of 70 or 75.

Also, I found the ACC acceleration/deacceleration a little aggressive. If you were >5MPH over the ACC set speed, say when overtaking another vehicle, if you completely took your foot off the gas and let the ACC take over it would actually brake instead of coasting back down to the set speed. You have to ease back down to the set speed for the ride to be smooth. Similarly, when accelerating to overtake, I found setting the following distance to only one car length gave the ACC more time to maintain the current set speed when nearing a slower car and overtaking. After learning these intricacies it resulted in a much smoother ride.

Overall, a great experience and I can't wait for our next adventure in the Ascent :)

·
Super Moderator
3,886 Posts
Thanks for the update...I'm soon to make my own run down and back to Florida to visit my mother and anticipate a great ride.

BTW, you can change the "aggressiveness" of Eyesight within the settings...everything from really gentle (ECO) up to "get the heck out of my way aggressive". :)

·
Super Moderator
3,886 Posts
(Duplicate Post)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts