Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone increased their tire size after a 2” lift? Using the stock 20” rims. If so, what’s the largest you’ve been able to install without rubbing? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
Has anyone increased their tire size after a 2” lift? Using the stock 20” rims. If so, what’s the largest you’ve been able to install without rubbing? Thanks!
Slightly less than 1/2" larger diameter, IIRC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've read the posts here saying 265/50R20 will rub... and that lower offset make it worse. So I can't reconcile the 20-30 examples (maybe more?) of 265/60R18s on +38 rims being mounted and apparently working fine. Add to that a handful of 265/65R17 at +38 or less.

Without lift it seems minor rub is most likely. with lift maybe, maybe not. I've been asking myself this same question as Brian and trying to talk myself into buying only the 265 tires for my stock 20s.... vs. going all in on 17 or 18" rims & tires. I also have a lift in mind...

Why should the 265/50R20 be more likely to rub than so many cases of the same nominal diameter and width on 18 and 17 with lower offset? Or is it just that they haven't rubbed yet? or that little bit of wheel well sanding took care of it...

Getting close to decision time for me.... so it's a timely question.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Like this thread, I just got my Eibach springs delivered and asking myself the same question. Should I stay with my stock 20’s or drop to 18’s with more tire? I’m also towing a travel trailer and interested in thoughts of what might hold up better.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I wish I had of known about the liquid metal shadow 17” option prior to purchasing new 18” rims. Right now I’m coveting the Nokian rotiiva AT Plus LT245/70r17. Class E rated and beastly. Almost 10 pounds lighter than than BFG KO2. With the size and profile restrictions I think AT tires are better suited to the 18s for sure.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,987 Posts
With many, if not most, vehicles today, doing a lift doesn't materially increase the size of tires you can fit without rubbing. Vehicles are generally UniBody construction so any life it purely in the suspension and is limited in height as a result. Aerodynamic design also keeps wheel wells relatively "close". So aside from the other issues with upsizing (inaccurate speedo/odo and the need to also replace the spare with a tire of the same diameter) there's not much wiggle room there physically.

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
Just 1/2” larger? Eesh I would have thought more. Now I’m thinking about 18” rims again ha.
The sides of the front wheel well stay about the same distance from the tire, even with a lift, because of their shape. :/

Are you going for looks, or for some crazy off road adventures?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've read the posts here saying 265/50R20 will rub... and that lower offset make it worse. So I can't reconcile the 20-30 examples (maybe more?) of 265/60R18s on +38 rims being mounted and apparently working fine. Add to that a handful of 265/65R17 at +38 or less.

Without lift it seems minor rub is most likely. with lift maybe, maybe not. I've been asking myself this same question as Brian and trying to talk myself into buying only the 265 tires for my stock 20s.... vs. going all in on 17 or 18" rims & tires. I also have a lift in mind...

Why should the 265/50R20 be more likely to rub than so many cases of the same nominal diameter and width on 18 and 17 with lower offset? Or is it just that they haven't rubbed yet? or that little bit of wheel well sanding took care of it...

Getting close to decision time for me.... so it's a timely question.
I’m just surprised more folks haven’t done this by now. Usually someone somewhere has thrown larger tires on after a lift. And if we’d only be able to enjoy a 1/2” benefit as Robert mentioned, unless I am misunderstanding, I may opt for 18” rims.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The sides of the front wheel well stay about the same distance from the tire, even with a lift, because of their shape. :/

Are you going for looks, or for some crazy off road adventures?
Ah okay that makes a bit more sense thanks. And I’d like more aggressive tires - thinking Pine Barrens!

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
Ah okay that makes a bit more sense thanks. And I’d like more aggressive tires - thinking Pine Barrens!
18" and the Falken AT/3W in OEM size are a nice match.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With many, if not most, vehicles today, doing a lift doesn't materially increase the size of tires you can fit without rubbing. Vehicles are generally UniBody construction so any life it purely in the suspension and is limited in height as a result. Aerodynamic design also keeps wheel wells relatively "close". So aside from the other issues with upsizing (inaccurate speedo/odo and the need to also replace the spare with a tire of the same diameter) there's not much wiggle room there physically.
I need to touch up on my understanding of unibody verse....SUV maybe?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,987 Posts
I’m just surprised more folks haven’t done this by now. Usually someone somewhere has thrown larger tires on after a lift. And if we’d only be able to enjoy a 1/2” benefit as Robert mentioned, unless I am misunderstanding, I may opt for 18” rims.
Back in the days of body on frame, a lift provided more benefit for tire size expansion. That's not the case these days with unibody...meaning lifts are just "suspension stretching" in effect...and the tighter body contours required for aerodynamics and fuel economy.

Body on frame had the vehicle body completely separate from the frame. Consider a "monster truck" as an extreme example. So you could block up the body off the frame "a lot" if you wanted...even to the point that the tires weren't even "in" the wheel wells. The suspension parts only connect to the frame, not the body.

Unibody construction means the frame is integral with the body (generally speaking) and the suspension parts connect to the body. Therefore, lift is limited to only modest amount and can only be relative to the interface of the suspension parts which can only be "stretched" so far before you have issues with angles/alignment as well as comfort.

Reactions: Brian Belfiore

·
Registered
777 Posts
And regardless of the lift, you aren't increasing the front-back gap any with a lift.... so the tire's can't get any bigger in THAT direction without rubbing.

To go larger even with a 2" lift you'd have to take out the fender liners and then go old school and "roll" the fenders to allow for the front tires to turn without rubbing.

To fit the meaty tires in there, my 88 Mustang has custom fiberglass fenders that stick out a LOT to allow those tires to turn.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
And regardless of the lift, you aren't increasing the front-back gap any with a lift.... so the tire's can't get any bigger in THAT direction without rubbing.
Yep, it's why people with off-road Subie rigs cut fenders out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts