Subaru Ascent Forum banner
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

Registered
^ Many residential "side roads" have been untreated in my area now for upwards of a decade...even in the more affluent municipalities. They'll get plowed -and the section immediately before where they join-up to a main artery may also be treated- but that's about it. It was a rather rude transition. 馃槄

For those untreated sections, often In the warmer days immediately following a storm, we'll see a thaw/freeze cycle that, in combination with repeated vehicular traffic, allows residual snow and slush to compact to a really slick surface that makes those intersections absolutely treacherous. I've seen vehicles overcook the entry, plow-off at the exit, outright flat-spin, and even simply overshoot a straight-line stop, even at what would have seemed to be very reasonable speeds.

Years ago, a driver on the perpendicular had a low-speed collision with the front passenger corner of my wife's '13 FXT because she (the other driver) overshot her planned stopping point on a rather major four-lane thoroughfare.

Registered
I'll throw another wrench in the snow tire mix. I have the same brand and and model of Winter tire ( Generals) on my awd MKZ and my Ascent.

This is completely unscientific, but I think the tires perform better on my Lincoln than they do on my Ascent. This includes acceleration and braking. Interesting because the tires are wider on the Lincoln and it's a lighter car.

I think because the ascent has more torque, the tires are more likely to want to break traction and engage the traction control system. I'm basing this on both seat of the pants in everyday snowy driving, and some unscientific test runs on an onramp near my house, with both cars, about 20 minutes apart. The Lincoln tended to always make it to 30 miles per hour about a second quicker than the Ascent, in packed snow/slushy conditions ( ie before the plows had effectively cleared the roads).

I can't say about braking performance, but I suspect because the suspension in the Ascent is much softer, it has the sensation that it doesn't brake as well in said conditions.

I'm not making any general criticism of either car, I'm just pointing out that the exact same tire can have a very different feel from car model to model. And when it comes down to it I will always pick the Ascent over the Lincoln to drive-in bad weather, because I know it's a much better awd system, and the car has more safety features. The extra ground clearance and x mode are just icing on the cake.

So I would take all the tire reviews with a grain of salt. But I probably wouldn't put high performance Winter tires on the car. I like that the generals do a very good job on both cars- the fact that they are relatively iinexpensive is an extra plus.

Registered
I'll throw another wrench in the snow tire mix. I have the same brand and and model of Winter tire ( Generals) on my awd MKZ and my Ascent.

This is completely unscientific, but I think the tires perform better on my Lincoln than they do on my Ascent. This includes acceleration and braking. Interesting because the tires are wider on the Lincoln and it's a lighter car.

I think because the ascent has more torque, the tires are more likely to want to break traction and engage the traction control system. I'm basing this on both seat of the pants in everyday snowy driving, and some unscientific test runs on an onramp near my house, with both cars, about 20 minutes apart. The Lincoln tended to always make it to 30 miles per hour about a second quicker than the Ascent, in packed snow/slushy conditions ( ie before the plows had effectively cleared the roads).

I can't say about braking performance, but I suspect because the suspension in the Ascent is much softer, it has the sensation that it doesn't brake as well in said conditions.

I'm not making any general criticism of either car, I'm just pointing out that the exact same tire can have a very different feel from car model to model. And when it comes down to it I will always pick the Ascent over the Lincoln to drive-in bad weather, because I know it's a much better awd system, and the car has more safety features. The extra ground clearance and x mode are just icing on the cake.

So I would take all the tire reviews with a grain of salt. But I probably wouldn't put high performance Winter tires on the car. I like that the generals do a very good job on both cars- the fact that they are relatively iinexpensive is an extra plus.
Unscientific though it may be, it's not at all surprising, given what we've both seen and have been outright told by overseas enthusiast and consumer publications over the course of the last decade to decade-and-a-half. (y) As I noted previously (1st time Buying tires for snow) both fitment and vehicle-platform difference have been observed by many such entities, and over the course of those years, they've been trying to account for these concerns by being very specific in the information they publish about such tests by including not just the specific fitment data, but also detailing what vehicle is used (including drivetrain option/trim-level).

Indeed, in many instances, it's these unaccountable factors (including also, for example, the place of manufacture - i.e. which factory the tire comes from) that can often skew individual experiences with X or Y tire, on our AA or BB vehicle. So as anecdotal as your -or any of our singular- experiences may be, @Percy Garris , they are not at all unfounded or unexpected. 馃槂

As your post above ends, that "YMMV" catch-all really does apply. Similarly, as I noted previously (and repeatedly 馃槵), what many of us -myself included- are doing here in debating "bests" is in-reality very much just bench-racing. :p We see from many tests that it's truly rare that any one tire will dominate a test overall - that a tire that's rated as "best" in one category can well fall to mid-pack or even below, in yet other sectors of the same test. This, combined with the fact that the middle of the bell-curve of every test is often only separated by mere fraction of a meter or just a foot or two - distances that, particularly in the real-world, could easily be accounted for any of a number of factors that are both within and without our control - means that most of the time when tire-heads like us start hacking away at each other online, we're actually debating, well....nothing actually meaningful!馃槄:giggle::ROFLMAO: And this is why I have fallen on my sword many times, including in this very thread (post 61 -https://www.ascentforums.com/threads/1st-time-buying-tires-for-snow.13390/page-4#post-177527) 馃槵 .

As for the "Performance Winter" part? Don't really worry about what that sounds like too much. ;)

Two reasons....

First, there aren't that many winter tires in that sub-genre that is of the correct fitment (including load). So while I often bring it up as a point of caution - i.e. that we have to make the distinction when we say things like "Blizzak" or "X-Ice," to then specify the specific tire designation/model so that we get the right specific tire (my Baskin Robbins analogy) - so that we can all be smart consumers (and more accurate in our advice giving too!), it's actually much less of a concern than if we were shopping in the passenger-tire category....that's really where it can become more of a concern. Their somewhat increased cost in appropriate fitments for "family SUVs" can also be a factor that drives away many shoppers.

Second - and more important - it's not necessarily about "performance" in the way of speed or other measures of "performance" in the fun way. Instead, think of these tires as being on the left hand of the spectrum where it comes to the spread of "least winterized" <-------------> "most winterized" of the true "Winter Tire" genre (excluding "All Weathers" or any other tire that may carry the 3PMS/severe-service symbol on their sidewall. Instead, think of these tires in that they trade mobility in the worst of winter weather for noticeably better performance when the roads are simply cold (wet or dry), while still offering better ice/hardpack traction than comparable "All Weather" or severe-service rated "All Seasons" or A/T tires. These tires are often the better bet for those who live in more urban areas where frozen precipitation is aggressively cleared by municipal services, as their clear-roadway (cold wet, cold dry) performance are typically notably superior to their more winterized counterparts.

[ Ironically, despite the word "performance" in the description of this sub-genre, these tires often have treadlife that will exceed "Studless Ice & Snow" tires when all other factors are controlled. Reason? Because the compounding of "Performance Winters" are typically "heartier" versus the "Studless Ice & Snows." ]

Registered
I read briefly through this thread. My thoughts are two fold. First...tires and clearance supercede any particular AWD/4WD system for snow use. And second: A FWD or RWD car with SC/TC and a set of Blizzaks (or the like) will run circles around an Ascent (or other similar vehicle) equipped with the OEM Falken tire for steering and stopping in particular. No comparison. Been there a couple times the last 15 years or so. That's where safety enters the picture big time!

Registered
My thoughts are two fold. First...tires and clearance supercede any particular AWD/4WD system for snow use.
Yup, high-center that sucker (*yeah, been there, done that....), and it's no-bueno.....

Snow Sky Plant Tree Branch

There's a ditch right where the dark spot is located in the upper left quadrant of the picture, and you can almost make out where my passenger rear was sunk into the snow.

This was the hidden "no parking" area at the new private range that I belong to. :ROFLMAO: My DM-V2s did no good, nor did my attempts to dig myself out...needed help recovering, that time!

Registered
Yup, high-center that sucker (*yeah, been there, done that....), and it's no-bueno.....

View attachment 14624

There's a ditch right where the dark spot is located in the upper left quadrant of the picture, and you can almost make out where my passenger rear was sunk into the snow.

This was the hidden "no parking" area at the new private range that I belong to. :ROFLMAO: My DM-V2s did no good, nor did my attempts to dig myself out...needed help recovering, that time!
I like to think I got smarter as I got older, but that's not always the case.

A few years ago we went to a guys camp in the spring with our G1 RL. The spring thaw was happening, but the place to park...where the other 3 full size trucks were already parked was going to challenge my clearance a little (1" less than the Ascent), I had my Blizzaks on and dammit I wasn't going to be shown up by the Big 3. I spun my way in backwards and parked. It was a sunny 35F day. A few hours later, we came out to leave. Only one full size truck left and us

What I had failed to consider...and should have...was that our truck was on snow when I parked and the hot exhaust turned the entire area below to ice. In we get. Perhaps I should have floored it, but I didn't...not sure it would have mattered. I gave it some gas, the truck squatted about an inch and was completely hung up! With some embarrassment, I had to ask the other the big truck that was left to pull us out..which he did with very little effort.

Tires and clearance.....

Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
Just got my Falcons installed today. What a weird day!

First @Discount Tire installed our tires and fixed my other cars puncture in record time. They had it finished before we could even finish eating our breakfast this morning. I guess it pays to be the first car on the days appointment list.

Then I dropped it off at the Subaru dealer for the alignment. We came back at 4pm since we had not heard from them, Ascent was not yet ready yet. Service department was very apologetic and said "in 20 minutes". No big deal, I went and got some tea from the dealer lounge.

A couple minutes later our advisor walked in and said the alignment was on the house. About 20-30 minutes later she comes back in with a backpack full of Subaru swag, apologizing some more and said 15 minutes more. The wife and I were laughing up a storm since it really was not a big deal. Props to Maple Hill Auto in Kalamazoo, MI :)

All in all, can't wait for the snow to fly!

81 - 89 of 89 Posts