Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2019 Ascent with the 20 inch rims and low profile tires. I'm planning a trip where I need something more substantial in terms of the sidewall as many of the roads I'll be on are deep, sharp gravel. I called my dealership here in Victoria, BC and asked if they had a package of 4 rims/tires I could purchase that are appropriate. Survey says - nope. Per the dealership the only package Subaru supports for the Ascent is the 20 inch, low profile solution.

I'm sure there are folks out there who take their Ascents off-road. Curious to please learn what your solution was. Thanks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I believe there is a whole thread on that, probably several. Likely the wheels won't be inexpensive. Correct, dealer will not be helpful here. There are even a few 17" rims that fit over the calipers to give the extra inch of sidewall compared to the 18's.
I have the KMC Bully 708 18x8 wheels. I really like that the offset is low and adds an aggressive stance to the vehicle. Weight rating has to be >1750lbs. I ordered through a local company, I think, Custom Wheel Solutions. They supply many of western canadian retail locations with tires and rims. They can get almost anything you need.
Depends on how you plan to use them, terrain, season etc. BFG K02, Michelin defender, MM Wild Country. Downside of a/t tires is a drop in fuel efficiency 2-3mpg.

·
Registered
816 Posts

Plenty of info in this thread.Our Ambassador here on the forum off-roads his Ascent quite frequent,I’m sure he’ll chime in also search out his videos he has posted on the forum.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,839 Posts
Lots of tire recommendations in the Tires/Wheels forum discussion area...

·
Registered
913 Posts
Hi all, I have a 2019 Ascent with the 20 inch rims and low profile tires. I'm planning a trip where I need something more substantial in terms of the sidewall as many of the roads I'll be on are deep, sharp gravel. I called my dealership here in Victoria, BC and asked if they had a package of 4 rims/tires I could purchase that are appropriate. Survey says - nope. Per the dealership the only package Subaru supports for the Ascent is the 20 inch, low profile solution.

I'm sure there are folks out there who take their Ascents off-road. Curious to please learn what your solution was. Thanks!
Wow, unless the Canadian models are different, my Ascent came with the 18" wheel package (Premium trim). There is no difference in the brakes/hubs, so the wheels are interchangeable.

That said, I got a set of 18" Raceline shift wheels with the Nitto Ridge Grappler tires in 255/55R18 size. I get .2" more ground clearance with them, but it means I can't use my spare tire either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe there is a whole thread on that, probably several. Likely the wheels won't be inexpensive. Correct, dealer will not be helpful here. There are even a few 17" rims that fit over the calipers to give the extra inch of sidewall compared to the 18's.
I have the KMC Bully 708 18x8 wheels. I really like that the offset is low and adds an aggressive stance to the vehicle. Weight rating has to be >1750lbs. I ordered through a local company, I think, Custom Wheel Solutions. They supply many of western canadian retail locations with tires and rims. They can get almost anything you need.
Depends on how you plan to use them, terrain, season etc. BFG K02, Michelin defender, MM Wild Country. Downside of a/t tires is a drop in fuel efficiency 2-3mpg.
Thank you. I did see a couple of threads but wasn't able to get a clear picture of what would fit over the calipers (an issue with my brain, not the threads). Generally speaking we use the car on paved roads but I do want something that can handle the deep gravel of the logging roads. Will check out Custom Wheel Solutions and your set-up. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Plenty of info in this thread.Our Ambassador here on the forum off-roads his Ascent quite frequent,I’m sure he’ll chime in also search out his videos he has posted on the forum.
thanks -- checking this out now (as well as the other thread posted in the next comment). Very much appreciate everyone's help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts