Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
9,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A decent number of people are looking at 17" rims for their Ascents...
Since I'm the first Ascent that's run them, and since I'm the guy who started all the research on doing so, way back in May through July 2018, testing and researching 3 dozen wheels, I figured I'd address everything that's come up in the group (as well as the things that haven't).

First, I DO NOT suggest 17” rims for virtually anyone. Virtually no one needs them, as cool as they look, so, do so at your own risk.

There are tradeoffs to running 17" wheels, such as changes in handling, but, some few people are interested in a more aggressive look, or more sidewall for extreme off-roading, and look for 17" wheels that fit. Keep in mind, besides matching the normal parameters such as bolt pattern (5x114.3), that there are three major factors involved:
  1. Must clear the front calipers.
  2. Must be load rated high enough to carry the Ascent (I opt for a minimum of 1,800 pound load rating, because off-roading can impart extreme forces/impacts in ways not common for on road driving).
  3. Wheel offset should be 55mm (or as close as possible) to avoid excessive bearing wear or wear to other suspension components.

To date, there are only FOUR 17" wheels that fit over the Ascent front calipers and are sufficiently load rated (and I personally researched about 3 dozen, with others adding to that number considerably).

Here they are, listed from most delicate to beefiest looking:
  1. Liquid Metal Shadow
    These are the rims I run, and are the very first 17" rims ever used on an Ascent

2. TSW Sebring
  3. fifteen52 Traverse MX

4. Method MR502
    The MR501 is structurally different and does not sufficiently clear the front calipers

Be aware of the following:
  • Stock equivalent tire size is 245/65R17 - it's an exact match for the width and diameter of the OEM tires. Failing to use that size adds other concerns. For instance, your speedometer and odometer will also be off and not register the correct speed. All assistive driving systems (such as Adaptive Cruise Control, Eyesight Pre-Collision Braking, etc) will also be affected. Also, you should not use the factory donut with a different sized tire.

• ALL of the above have only about 3-5mm clearance, so all wheel weights on all four wheels (and full sized spare, if you get one) MUST be placed behind the rim well/TPMS bump, or the front calipers will rip them off. Green zone ONLY.

• You MUST run the proper lug nuts for the rims you select (and they are likely NOT the OEM ones), because they must be able to fit in the lug nut "pocket", and have the same mating surface as the rim (eg: stock uses 60° flat conical mating surface).

• You MUST carry 5 regular lug nuts to use with the donut spare, if you do not get a full sized spare setup that matches your own road setup.

• You MUST get a fifth full sized spare if you do not use 245/65R17 tires, and it needs to match the size of your four driving tires (you cannot use the donut, since it will be a different size, potentially causing damage to the AWD system).

• Do NOT add an offset spacer to these to "correct" offset. It will make it worse. For instance, if you get a +40mm wheel, and add a 10mm offset spacer, you now have a +30mm offset. The offset (INSET) is of the rim's mating surface, not of the rim itself.

• DO add a hub centric ring to each rim that's not 56.1mm - The Method MR502 come with them in the box.

• You should consider 5 wheel rotation if you get a full sized spare. That means getting non-directional tires.

• You MAY have certain warranty claims denied for using 17" rims and/or tires.

In my opinion, almost no one needs 17" wheels, so, choose wisely. I neither condone nor suggest getting 17" wheels, but, if you decide to do so (as I did), then, above are the concerns you should be aware of, and the rims that will barely fit.

If you DO decide to buy, talk to my friends at @Discount Tire via the forum, and they can hook you up with one of the four available options, as well as the proper hub centric rings, and lug nuts, and tires.

If you decide to buy elsewhere, make sure everything above is addressed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks so much for putting this together, Robert. We're on 18"s for now, and we went with the OEMs because of offset, load capacity, and availability challenges, but I see wanting to take a step towards 17s down the road. This is super helpful.

·
Administrator
9,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had help. :)

I'm just the first one to organize the info. Which reminds me, if anyone stumbles upon any more, post the info in this thread and tag me, and I will add it to the original post.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring stock.... for meow.
17 Posts
Thank your very much!

This is the Fifteen52 Traverse MX in Magnesium Grey. We have 2 sets of them. lol One set for winter with 245/65r17 Nitto SN2 snow tires and the second set with 245/65r17 Falken AT Trail's, waiting on the second set to come in. I really like the wheels design. I think it makes the Ascent look more like a large Forester and not so much like just another mid-size SUV. Also I just put black lug nuts on, but didn't have them in time for these pictures.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was poking around on @SubaruOnlineParts.com and noticed a listing for 17" wheel that claims ascent compatibility. The same on offer in 18" as well. I don't need them as I've already done wheels. The listing clearly conveys that these are "STI" wheels which have often been judged not load rated for an Ascent in this forum. So is this a mistake by SubaruOnlineParts? or has Subaru blessed these as compatible?

Part Number: B3110FL251

·
Administrator
9,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's absolutely NOT compatible. I've talked to Subaru's wheel manufacturer. It isn't designed for the Ascent's weight.

Bad news #2, I'd bet good money that it won't clear our front calipers. I've already tried STI rims that cleared the STI's Brembos, that don't clear ours.

I was poking around on @SubaruOnlineParts.com and noticed a listing for 17" wheel that claims ascent compatibility. The same on offer in 18" as well. I don't need them as I've already done wheels. The listing clearly conveys that these are "STI" wheels which have often been judged not load rated for an Ascent in this forum. So is this a mistake by SubaruOnlineParts? or has Subaru blessed these as compatible?

View attachment 11224
View attachment 11225

8 Posts

View attachment 11224
View attachment 11225
Hi,

This appears to be an error and we cannot validate fitment at this time therefore we will be removing it. If our catalog manager finds the original source out of curiosity I will follow back up here.

Thank you @Robert.Mauro for the information.

- Benny

·
Registered
2020 ascent touring abyss blue
6 Posts
hello there, i just stumbled upon this post and it’s really tempting because of the price, i have a 2020 touring and just wondering if i will have any issues with this package if i buy them.

Kmc km708 wheels 17x8 / 5x114.3 Offset +35 with falken wildpeak 245/65/17

i know you only mentioned 4 wheels that would fit but you think this one might fit as well, because i’ve seen a few of them running in 18’ and i’m not sure if an inch would make any differenc.

thanks.

·
Administrator
9,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am pretty sure we tried them already. We only managed 3-5 mm clearance on the four above. An inch is sadly a massive difference.

·
Administrator
9,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks a lot!
IF you're near a @Discount Tire that has one in stock, perhaps they can test fit it. I'm sure they'll also give you a great price on a set of four (five to have a matching spare for off-road emergencies).

Also, don't forget the special balancing requirements of any 17" wheel that fits, and don't forget to make sure anything you do choose is properly load rated.

·
Registered
2020 ascent touring abyss blue
6 Posts
IF you're near a @Discount Tire that has one in stock, perhaps they can test fit it. I'm sure they'll also give you a great price on a set of four (five to have a matching spare for off-road emergencies).

Also, don't forget the special balancing requirements of any 17" wheel that fits, and don't forget to make sure anything you do choose is properly load rated.
i actually ordered an 18 inch on that same brand (kmc) but they are back ordered and have to wait 6 weeks, then i just saw this 17 inches on offerup being sold by a local tire shop. but then again if it won’t fit i’ll just wait for my order then.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring stock.... for meow.
17 Posts
Anyone else that’s following this.

I emailed Fifteen52 about the new MetrixMX wheel that is coming out soon. Looks like it will fit since the barrel is same diameter as the TraverseMX. If I didn’t already have 2 sets of the TraverseMX (1winter set and 1 summer set) I would absolutely get the Gold MetrixMX. I love the look of them!!! But I can’t justify getting a set of wheels and trying sella set of the TraverseMX. Lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts