Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been eyeballing the 17" MR502s for awhile, mainly thanks to information I've found from folks on this forum while I've been lurking.

I'm interested in your long term experience with the 17" wheels and tires. Arguably this has a much different feel vs the stock 18 or 20" wheels.

Any and all feedback (or references to feedback I may have missed in my searching over the last few weeks) is appreciated!

·
Administrator
7,788 Posts
Some notes:
  • OEM matching tire size is 245/65R17
  • They won't be as stiff around turns.
  • They won't be as harsh on bumps (especially compared to the 20's).
  • They will allow you a lot more sidewall for more intense off-roading.
  • The MR502's will eat more gas when paired with a heavy all terrain tire (I chose the Liquid Metal Shadows because they're lighter than stock rims, to make up the difference of my heavier all terrain tires).
  • All three 17" options (MR502's, TSW Bardos, Shadows) require computerized balancing with no weights stuck on the TPMS bump (they'll be ripped off by the front calipers).
  • Since clearance is about 5mm, extra care has to be taken when rotating tires so one avoids scratching the wheels.
  • You will need lug nuts that fit the rims, which means you will likely get lug nut "keys"/adapters... if you're the type who's prone to lose such things, get a spare.
Nothing else comes to mind.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
356 Posts
Do these wheels come with, or require, hub rings to center the wheels on the hub bore, or is the hub bore a match to Subaru's hub cone diameter?

·
Administrator
7,788 Posts
Do these wheels come with, or require, hub rings to center the wheels on the hub bore, or is the hub bore a match to Subaru's hub cone diameter?
They require them, but come with them.

"The MR502 is hub centric for Mitsubishi applications (67.1mm hubs) and will include a hub ring for Subaru fitment (56.1mm hubs). The 16" wheel model will clear pre-2018 model year vehicles with STI Brembo Brakes. The 17" & 18" wheel will clear all model year Subaru/Mitsubishi vehicles with Brembo Brakes."

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
  • All three 17" options (MR502's, TSW Bardos, Shadows) require computerized balancing with no weights stuck on the TPMS bump (they'll be ripped off by the front calipers).
Every single point is fantastic feedback. Thank you.

Regarding TPMS bump + weights.. I understand wheel balancing, but I'm not entirely sure I understand the likelihood of the risk here; it's new territory for me.

Have you/others run into issues with this in the past? Also, to be a complete neophyte - what is a TPMS bump? :)

·
Administrator
7,788 Posts
Every single point is fantastic feedback. Thank you.

Regarding TPMS bump + weights.. I understand wheel balancing, but I'm not entirely sure I understand the likelihood of the risk here; it's new territory for me.

Have you/others run into issues with this in the past? Also, to be a complete neophyte - what is a TPMS bump? :)
I'll post pics tomorrow explaining.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,154 Posts
Pending Robert's photos, in a nutshell, the profile of the 17" wheels leaves only a very tiny amount of clearance between the wheel and the brake calipers. Tiny as in "almost nothing". So any weights necessary for balancing can't take much space and in that little raised area where the TPMS is located, there's zero available space for wheel weight attachment.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
7,788 Posts
Pending Robert's photos, in a nutshell, the profile of the 17" wheels leaves only a very tiny amount of clearance between the wheel and the brake calipers. Tiny as in "almost nothing". So any weights necessary for balancing can't take much space and in that little raised area where the TPMS is located, there's zero available space for wheel weight attachment.
Exactly that.

Here's how little clearance you will have.

And here's a visual of what @Jim_in_PA and I are trying to describe.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly that.

Here's how little clearance you will have.
That ... is pretty tight.

I'll have to take a closer look at some other shots; my brain isn't able to "see" the bump. All in all, I think the main takeaway here is that the wheels should be balanced with the vehicle present, and the tire shop should understand they're dealing with ridiculously tight clearances.

Guys, I really appreciate the insights. Very helpful.

·
Administrator
7,788 Posts
Maybe this will help. It's not really called a TPMS bump - it predates TPMS by ages. It just so happens to be the bump that allows the TPMS to sit better in the rim.

This bump is the part that almost touches the calipers...

That ... is pretty tight.

I'll have to take a closer look at some other shots; my brain isn't able to "see" the bump. All in all, I think the main takeaway here is that the wheels should be balanced with the vehicle present, and the tire shop should understand they're dealing with ridiculously tight clearances.

Guys, I really appreciate the insights. Very helpful.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe this will help. It's not really called a TPMS bump - it predates TPMS by ages. It just so happens to be the bump that allows the TPMS to sit better in the rim.
I feel like I have seen the "magic eye" picture now! :)

Thanks, this actually clears it up a lot. I did see this hump/ridge, but was concerned for a specific hump around the area where the TMPS was physically attached.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Matt - thanks for asking the questions I wanted to. You are right about it being a magic eye picture. I had to stare at it for a long time before I understood.

Robert - Thanks for taking the time to put this together. The cross section drawing you show puts the TPMS bump closer to the middle of the rim. Is the TPMS bump really closer to the outside edge of the rim? It would be harder to get a 2-plane balance as good if one plane is in the center of the rim.

·
Administrator
7,788 Posts
Matt - thanks for asking the questions I wanted to. You are right about it being a magic eye picture. I had to stare at it for a long time before I understood.

Robert - Thanks for taking the time to put this together. The cross section drawing you show puts the TPMS bump closer to the middle of the rim. Is the TPMS bump really closer to the outside edge of the rim? It would be harder to get a 2-plane balance as good if one plane is in the center of the rim.
I'm baffled that the drawing doesn't match the rim. You can ignore that discrepancy. That bump is different on every rim. The Methods and most of the others I've tried on the Ascent are narrower bumps towards the facing part of the rim. The bump virtually always starts at the front of the rim or rim ridge. The TPMS sits in the same spot, regardless. It's attached to the valve stem.

You all can see your valve stems for an idea of the size of the TPMS by relation to the size of the stem... so, compare this, to give you an idea of how big our TPMS are. Ignore the part number... the newest version is 28103FL00B.

But, basically, the sensor is tiny.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These wheels finally went on sale. With the coupon I found, it was nearly buy 3 get 1 free.

I haven't settled on rubber yet; will do some reading up on All Seasons vs All Terrains on the forum later today.
Thanks again for the wonderful insights. This community is great.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Robert.Mauro you were not joking - there is barely any clearance! Holy smokes.

Test Fit:

So the good news is the test fit was 100% successful. These are the 17x8 114.3 MR502s.

The bad news is, I've only received 75% of my shipment. One of the wheels is still at the FedEx facility.

Once that last wheel gets here, one of the forum sponsors has lined up a set of tires, TPMS, lugs, etc to go with this. Talk about convenience! Matt @Discount Tire you're the man.

Now, we wait.

·
Registered
29 Posts
@Robert.Mauro you were not joking - there is barely any clearance! Holy smokes.
View attachment 5187

Test Fit:
View attachment 5188

So the good news is the test fit was 100% successful. These are the 17x8 114.3 MR502s.

The bad news is, I've only received 75% of my shipment. One of the wheels is still at the FedEx facility.

Once that last wheel gets here, one of the forum sponsors has lined up a set of tires, TPMS, lugs, etc to go with this. Talk about convenience! Matt @Discount Tire you're the man.

Now, we wait.
Glad to see you went with the MR502s. I've absolutely loved them so far, and just got back a couple days ago from giving them a real thrashing both on and off road. Over the course of ~4500 miles, I managed nearly 20mpg with the vast majority of those miles above 80mph or off-road, so you'll be happy as far as fuel efficiency goes, even if you're running a COBB tune. When I weighed my setup, I think I was ~half a pound lighter than OEM 20" wheels and tires. I was SUPER aggressive in my driving off road to see what I could do, and was not disappointed. Afterwards, I did a walkaround and looked for any sign of scraping on the interior of the wheels and there was none. I didn't see what tire you're going to pair these wheels with, but they're good with Pirelli Scorpion AT+ in 245/70r17. I only had one instance where it rubbed, and that was here in DC when I hit a speed bump in a corner at a pretty good clip. None during my off-road ventures. Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't see what tire you're going to pair these wheels with, but they're good with Pirelli Scorpion AT+ in 245/70r17.
Going with the Conti TerrainContact A/Ts. 245/65/17. Wanted to keep OD very close.

I do absolutely no offroading compared to many others here (or in my neighborhood!) and the Contis are geared toward my demo of mostly highway driving, with the annual excursion offroad, while maintaining that positive poser posture.

Once these wear out I may consider switching to something more aggressive.

·
Administrator
7,788 Posts
Going with the Conti TerrainContact A/Ts. 245/65/17. Wanted to keep OD very close.

I do absolutely no offroading compared to many others here (or in my neighborhood!) and the Contis are geared toward my demo of mostly highway driving, with the annual excursion offroad, while maintaining that positive poser posture.

Once these wear out I may consider switching to something more aggressive.
Those will be an identical match to stock. It's the size I run. I'd suggest the Yokohama G015 All Terrains over the Continentals though. My Yokos outperformed the Contis in snow and slippery wet conditions, regardless of Continental's marketing of their fancy rubber compounds.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd suggest the Yokohama G015 All Terrains over the Continentals though. My Yokos outperformed the Contis in snow and slippery wet conditions,
I'll take a quick look. My primary concern was road noise. Road noise has a direct correlation to wife noise, so she's told me.

The Contis seem to punch above their weight in wet conditions in the independent reviews I've seen; I don't recall if Yoko's were in that class for comparison, or just selectively excluded. More data to analyze!

The snow removal teams in Southern California are bar none the best. Never a flake of snow on the 5 or 405 here ;) Joking aside, the local mountains and the Sierras we visit have been super easy to travel to on all season tires. In my mind, if I need a strong performing snow tires to drive, it isn't worth the risk. When CHP sees Pleiades on the hood, they'll waive you through the chain checkpoints, so long as that constellation isn't on a wrx.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts