Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son just bought his first car. It is a 2018 Imprezza premium. He earned the money from working and we wanted him in a safe vehicle. He takes his road test next week. Certainly we are proud parents and I have confidence in his driving abilities, but of course I am also terrified of all the lousy drivers out there. We all go through it as parents. It is one of many milestones. So if you see a happy 16 year old driving his new Imprezza, please don't run into him.

·
Registered
559 Posts
This is a scary time for parents! I have 4 daughters and tried to teach them all to be responsible drivers as I'm sure you have but you can't control what others do.

Getting them into a safe car is important but not always easy to do because kids don't make great decisions. Sounds like your son made a good choice.

Our youngest t-boned a mini van at 55 mph in a car we bought because it had a 5 star front crash rating, which was about as good as it got back then. The van had made an illegal left turn. Our car was totaled but it did it's job and our daughter had only some bruises and minor burns from the air bag.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I highly recommend looking for a good Teen Safety driving course.

We sent my fiance's 16 yr old daughter and the difference was night and day by the end. They did cones, panic swerves, panic braking for about 8 hrs. Tons of experience in a short time.

This is the one we used. It's taught by the same people who taught my road racing course at the local track. They spent the whole day on a large skid-pad!

Actually I just remembered I have the video from her "recital" where we got to ride along with her! :D

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I’ve got a few years before my kids hit driving age. I hope I can be as successful in parenting as the OP! Well done.
Kids will be getting dashcams in whatever they drive so hopefully they’re more careful. Although, I regularly forget mine is running! At least I’ll be able to check on their driving habits and able to revoke driving privileges if necessary.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I highly recommend looking for a good Teen Safety driving course.

We sent my fiance's 16 yr old daughter and the difference was night and day by the end. They did cones, panic swerves, panic braking for about 8 hrs. Tons of experience in a short time.

This is the one we used. It's taught by the same people who taught my road racing course at the local track. They spent the whole day on a large skid-pad!

Actually I just remembered I have the video from her "recital" where we got to ride along with her! :D
This winter we are going to Steamboat for their ice course. He did complete drivers ed.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Driver's ed and courses like this are completely different. Driver's ed teaches you basic car control, traffic, signs, etc.

This course is more for control in emergency situations. Do you know how to panic stop? Swerve if something runs out in front of you? Do you have those developed as instincts rather than having to think about it? Look ahead to be aware of your surroundings (which makes everything appear to happen slower). Adjust your side mirrors properly to eliminate blindspots. etc etc.

An ice course sounds like a great idea too. When I was 16 I'd go in empty parking lots when it snowed and try out my car all different ways so I knew what it would do when. Great skill if you're driving in inclement weather.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Driver's ed and courses like this are completely different. Driver's ed teaches you basic car control, traffic, signs, etc.

This course is more for control in emergency situations. Do you know how to panic stop? Swerve if something runs out in front of you? Do you have those developed as instincts rather than having to think about it? Look ahead to be aware of your surroundings (which makes everything appear to happen slower). Adjust your side mirrors properly to eliminate blindspots. etc etc.

An ice course sounds like a great idea too. When I was 16 I'd go in empty parking lots when it snowed and try out my car all different ways so I knew what it would do when. Great skill if you're driving in inclement weather.
Bridgestone Winter driving course In Colorado we have plenty of opportunities to use these winter driving skills.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts