1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dislikes:
0. No grab handle on b-pillar for rear passengers to get it...WTF
1. Hitch cover is cheaply made and hard to take off
2. Pillar trim for exterior doors are faded and the spot where it was bent to be able to install it
3. Paint not the best. Fish-eyes are to found in several places.
4. Java only interior color offered in touring and no 8-passenger option
5. Steering too light and needs a small dead spot in middle. Too twitchy
6. Would like to see more wheels options.
7. Rear tray cover is terribly cheap..a few heavy bags of mulch and this thing is bending. I'll need to reinforce this
8. Glove box interior is oddly shaped and hard to fit anything in.
9. No running board option
10. Steering wheel needs another 2 inches of movement up and towards the driver
11. Leather seats are hard to get into and out of....too grippey. Need to use some 303 on them.
12. Floor mats are made of paper
13. No V6 option.....off all thier lineup they choose this one to only get a 4...really sucks. Imagine this with a smooth 6 and solid 6 speed!!!

1. Exterior plastics are nicely textured.
2. Doors feel solid when closing them.
3. Seats are very upscale and good amount of adjustment
4. Nice LED headlights
5. Awesome visability
6. Nicely sized doors that open wide
7. Smooth engine
8. Should have decent resale.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Huh?

1. Hitch cover is cheaply made and hard to take off
Very easy to take off if you got the hitch installed (and they installed it properly). Takes seconds to take off and put back on. I can make a vid, if you want, showing you the spring clips and how to easily and quickly remove and re-install it.
2. Pillar trim for exterior doors are faded and the spot where it was bent to be able to install it
Dunno why, but that's been how all the Outback trim was as well. It's not faded, it's an odd not-quite-black color with a line that looks like it's miscolored from bending it to install it.
3. Paint not the best. Fish-eyes are to found in several places.
Talk to your dealer - sounds like they improperly detailed the car - others have found the same issues. :(

5. Steering too light and needs a small dead spot in middle. Too twitchy
I hate dead spots. What's the purpose of having a steering wheel that doesn't do what you tell it, especially on something that big? It was my (and other owners') biggest complaint about the Ford E350 steering of the 80's. But I suspect this is personal preference.

7. Rear tray cover is terribly cheap..a few heavy bags of mulch and this thing is bending. I'll need to reinforce this
Are you talking about the rubber mat that goes behind the third row? Could you take a pic? I routinely stuff hundreds of pounds of gear in there, boxed and unboxed, and haven't experienced that.

11. Leather seats are hard to get into and out of....too grippey. Need to use some 303 on them.
?

12. Floor mats are made of paper
Composite backing, composite fiber facing.

13. No V6 option.....off all thier lineup they choose this one to only get a 4...really sucks. Imagine this with a smooth 6 and solid 6 speed!!!
They have never had a V6. The H6 is less powerful, eats a lot more gas (it eats a little more with moving a thousand pounds less weight), and doesn't have as flat a torque curve or as good a sweet spot for horsepower. The 2.4T actually allows the Ascent to MATCH the 0-60 times of the 3.6L H6 powered Outback, even though the Ascent weighs 1,000 pounds MORE than the Outback. The 3.6L H6 in the Ascent would be terribly slower.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You actually list 14 dislikes and 9 likes.

In addition, in dislikes you wish for a V6 (which Subaru does not have, they have a Horizontal 6) and a 6 speed and in likes you comment about the smooth engine. Seems to cancel each other out.

The rest are opinions and even though I may disagree, I will respect your right to share your opinion.

·
Registered
685 Posts
13. No V6 option.....off all thier lineup they choose this one to only get a 4...really sucks.
Unlucky #13. I hate to break it to you. There will NEVER be a V6 option since Subaru only builds H (horizontally opposed) motor platforms. Always has, My guess, they always will. It's one of the things that makes a Subaru...A Subaru.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You actually list 14 dislikes and 9 likes.

In addition, in dislikes you wish for a V6 (which Subaru does not have, they have a Horizontal 6) and a 6 speed and in likes you comment about the smooth engine. Seems to cancel each other out.

The rest are opinions and even though I may disagree, I will respect your right to share your opinion.

I do like the engine for what it is...to get a 4 to run that smooth is awesome, but i guess i just like the simplicity of a strong non turbo V6 with a 6 speed. When driving the traverse or enclave it feels like you beat on it all day and tow 5,000lbs and it wouldn't break a sweat. That V6 feels more like a super light V8....it has some grunt.
But when giving the Ascent the juice it feels strained and like something may give out. Probably won't happen...i just grit my teeth a little:) Probably the effects of the CVT more than anything.
I just think for this size and weight of this vehicle a H6 with a 6 speed would be a pretty sweet combo even though you'll give up some handling and MPG with the extra weight. Especially for someone actually wanting to tow 5,000lbs across country.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
But when giving the Ascent the juice it feels strained and like something may give out. Probably won't happen...i just grit my teeth a little:) Probably the effects of the CVT more than anything.
I just think for this size and weight of this vehicle a H6 with a 6 speed would be a pretty sweet combo even though you'll give up some handling and MPG with the extra weight. Especially for someone actually wanting to tow 5,000lbs across country.

H6 is not suited to this application at all, as noted above. Also, if you're feeling like it's strained, I'd suggest taking your car in for service.

In either circumstance, downgrading to a 6 speed transmission would be devastating.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
H6 is not suited to this application at all, as noted above. Also, if you're feeling like it's strained, I'd suggest taking your car in for service.
That's a strong statement.
It's doesn't need service it runs fine for tooling around town.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I do like the engine for what it is...to get a 4 to run that smooth is awesome, but i guess i just like the simplicity of a strong non turbo V6 with a 6 speed. When driving the traverse or enclave it feels like you beat on it all day and tow 5,000lbs and it wouldn't break a sweat. That V6 feels more like a super light V8....it has some grunt.

Surely you don't expect a one size fits all vehicle to do everything. I'm sure you'll need something like a Truck to tow 5000lb +, that's why it's the BEST TOOL for the job. I'm sure you buy the best tool for the job too right, or do you use a butter knife to cut your steak, it can do it, but surely slowly.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Accurate statement...

That's a strong statement.
It's doesn't need service it runs fine for tooling around town.
Strong statement or not, it's an accurate statement. The 3.6L H6 is a less powerful engine with less torque, less horsepower, and without the ridiculously flat torque "curve" (line), and without the ridiculously large flat torque area (2,000-4,800 rpm) that also uses more gas (for less power). Thus, it definitely isn't a better engine for a vehicle designed to tow 5,000 pounds in a car that's a thousand pounds heavier.

There's a reason the Ascent is as fast as the thousand pound lighter Outback with the 3.6L six cylinder.

The FA24 was LITERALLY designed to do the type of duty the Ascent requires, including it's far heavier weight and towing. It's the reason it wasn't set up like the FA motors in the WRX - totally different purpose.

The H6 3.6L six cylinder was not designed for what the Ascent needs. There's no way to revise the 3.6L H6 to make it suit the Ascent's needs and get sufficient fuel economy. As a matter of fact, it would be very difficult (if it's even possible) to come anywhere close to the type of torque curve that the FA24DIT in the Ascent has.

These are just simple numbers and stats. The FA24DIT was designed from the ground up for this, and its numbers and stats prove it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They have never had a V6. The H6 is less powerful, eats a lot less gas, and doesn't have as flat a torque curve or as good a sweet spot for horsepower. The 2.4T actually allows the Ascent to MATCH the 0-60 times of the 3.6L H6 powered Outback, even though the Ascent weighs 1,000 pounds MORE than the Outback. The 3.6L H6 in the Ascent would be terribly slower.[/QUOTE]

In either circumstance, downgrading to a 6 speed transmission would be devastating.
I wasn't looking for 0-60 times for this application. Just was wishing they could put a torquey little direct injection 6 with a 6 speed that would better suited the towing market they seem to be going after with thier marketing. For ME this would ideal as i would like to use this for towing as i do like the overall package. I do have a V8 body on frame for towing my boat and snowmobiles, just the sight lines and comfort of the Subaru would make a great tow rig.

Not knocking it too hard as i know most won;t use as a dedicated tow rig. For 99% it's probably near perfect.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Strong statement or not, it's an accurate statement. The 3.6L H6 is a less powerful engine with less torque, less horsepower, and without the ridiculously flat torque "curve" (line), and without the ridiculously large flat torque area (2,000-4,800 rpm) that also uses more gas (for less power). Thus, it definitely isn't a better engine for a vehicle designed to tow 5,000 pounds in a car that's a thousand pounds heavier.

There's a reason the Ascent is as fast as the thousand pound lighter Outback with the 3.6L six cylinder.

The FA24 was LITERALLY designed to do the type of duty the Ascent requires, including it's far heavier weight and towing. It's the reason it wasn't set up like the FA motors in the WRX - totally different purpose.

The H6 3.6L six cylinder was not designed for what the Ascent needs. There's no way to revise the 3.6L H6 to make it suit the Ascent's needs and get sufficient fuel economy. As a matter of fact, it would be very difficult (if it's even possible) to come anywhere close to the type of torque curve that the FA24DIT in the Ascent has.

These are just simple numbers and stats. The FA24DIT was designed from the ground up for this, and its numbers and stats prove it.
They must be able to get fairly close in MPG with direct injection?? The Traverse gets 3 MPG less and has a 3.5 V6, but i think it also weighs more. Is the flat configuration inherently hard to get torque out of with a turbo?

I don't know....i just like the drive line feel of a standard auto with non turbo V6. 4 bangers with turbo are also know to have carbon build up issue...that i hope they've resolved. I'm keeping the Ascent and my Tahoe and will make a sacrifice.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I still don't understand. You want a LESS capable engine and a LESS capable transmission so you can have better towing? I'm sorry, but what you want for you doesn't work for what Subaru promised us, namely a quick car with more torque, ridiculously wide and flat torque curve and towing ability in a vehicle that's a thousand pounds heavier than anything else they've ever sold.

Also, I reiterate, if your Ascent feels like it's struggling doing anything (full acceleration, going up hills, regular driving... anything short of heavy towing uphill) during regular driving, you need to take it in and have it looked at.

Seriously, I think I have the highest mileage consumer owned Ascent out there, and I've driven up and down mountains (on paved and unpaved roads), on highways of all sorts, and at ridiculous speeds up to (redacted), and the engine has never felt like its struggling. If you truly feel like your Ascent is struggling, there's something wrong.

·
Registered
298 Posts
They must be able to get fairly close in MPG with direct injection?? The Traverse gets 3 MPG less and has a 3.5 V6, but i think it also weighs more. Is the flat configuration inherently hard to get torque out of with a turbo?
Are you kidding? 277 ft/lbs starting at 2000 rpm, what more do you want? And on reg gas.

This engine is one of the best features of the new Ascent.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Model: 2019 Chevrolet Traverse
MSRP: From $32,800
Towing capacity: 1,500 lbs
MPG: Up to 18 city / 27 highway
Horsepower: 310 hp
Dimensions: 204″ L x 79″ W x 71″ H
Curb weight: 4,362 lbs

Weighs as much as 246 pounds less and tows less. Gets considerably worse city mileage (18 vs 22/23).

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I still don't understand. You want a LESS capable engine and a LESS capable transmission so you can have better towing? I'm sorry, but what you want for you doesn't work for what Subaru promised us, namely a quick car with more torque, ridiculously wide and flat torque curve and towing ability in a vehicle that's a thousand pounds heavier than anything else they've ever sold.

Also, I reiterate, if your Ascent feels like it's struggling doing anything (full acceleration, going up hills, regular driving... anything short of heavy towing uphill) during regular driving, you need to take it in and have it looked at.

Seriously, I think I have the highest mileage consumer owned Ascent out there, and I've driven up and down mountains (on paved and unpaved roads), on highways of all sorts, and at ridiculous speeds up to (redacted), and the engine has never felt like its struggling. If you truly feel like your Ascent is struggling, there's something wrong.
I test drove 3 and the one i purchased is fine. I agree that without a load it's more than adequate, but when I hook my bass boat it just feels odd to me. I'm sure the drive-line is stout enough and with that boat i'm not touching the max capacity. It must be the CVT that makes it feels like something is going to let loose. I'll use it to tow to local lakes....but i'll feel more comfortable towing through the mountains and across county with the standard SUV with 4 speed trans. Although i think it will do just fine towing my sleds and with the AWD system probably even better than my RWD Tahoe on winter roads.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Model: 2019 Chevrolet Traverse
MSRP: From $32,800
Towing capacity: 1,500 lbs
MPG: Up to 18 city / 27 highway
Horsepower: 310 hp
Dimensions: 204″ L x 79″ W x 71″ H
Curb weight: 4,362 lbs

Weighs as much as 246 pounds less and tows less. Gets considerably worse city mileage (18 vs 22/23).
That's without the towing package. It's capacity is 5,000. Trust me...

Also i think my Ascent gets 21 or 20 MPG city with the bigger wheels

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Front-Wheel Drive Platform (drivetrain arrangement): Highlander, Pilot, Explorer, CX-9, Traverse, Pathfinder, Enclave
Rear-Wheel Drive Platform: Ascent

The Ascent gets a big LIKE for not building them cheap like their direct competitors.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.