Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 touring ascent. post purchase I have had the dealer add auto dimming side mirrors, Hitch, all weather mats. I use the starlink remote services. longest single trip just under 600 miles in a day.

gas consuption is about 21.8 mpg
80 percent of driving is highway
cruise control most often set at 78 mph
top speed 121 mph
service schedule every 10,000

This is my primary vehicle ( I also own a 17' forester touring at 105k). I use all the eyesight features daily (specifcally, Lanes assist and adaptive cruise controll). That being said I dont have a true complaint about the purchase and would buy it again in a second. the value is unbeatable. it is reliable, and has serious acceleration and stoping power. I am a Florida resident, i monthly travel Georgia and Alabama, so i love the remote start just for the ac. I have travelled the blue ridge mountains, Ga dirt roads in massive down pours, and the endless i-75, all with no concern, with stock tires.

Seat ventalition could be a little more robost. (but its a fully loaded car under 50k)
cvt can be jerky between 10-20 mph, i only notice it when navigating parking lots (but it gets good gas mileage for its size and its standard features help me not run into people)

my only real issue is subaru didnt offer a v6 (more power and a boxer v6 because of piston firing order has nominal engine viberation) a v6-v8 option would have been nice to have more towing power and it is a dissappoint for me.

Damage so far
cracked grill camera around 20,000 miles
cracked windshield, at 30,533

accessoriers
Yakima sky box 21
Yakima Jetstream 60'' cross bars with timberline tower
Stowaway hitch cargo carrier (thank you ascent forum for the recommendation)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Greetings,
I enjoy this kind of post- thanks for writing it. I am curious to know, why service every 10,000 miles instead of 6,000? (unless you mean 10,000 km).

I just love the auto-dimming side mirrors. Probably my favorite add-on.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
my only real issue is subaru didnt offer a v6 (more power and a boxer v6 because of piston firing order has nominal engine viberation) a v6-v8 option would have been nice to have more towing power and it is a dissappoint for me.
The H6 has less power and less torque, and the 2020 Subaru Outback XT (same drive train as us) obliterated it in tests compared to the outgoing Outback 3.6R. It's also more fuel efficient than the outgoing 3.6R.

Subaru made the right decision.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The H6 has less power and less torque, and the 2020 Subaru Outback XT (same drive train as us) obliterated it in tests compared to the outgoing Outback 3.6R. It's also more fuel efficient than the outgoing 3.6R.

thanks for the insight and correction on the H6, v- vernacular and such

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
thanks for the insight and correction on the H6, v- vernacular and such
I knew what our drivetrain could do on paper, but I was surprised to see it in action. Did you know that our Ascents can match the Outback 3.6R in 0-60 even though they're half a ton heavier?

The Outback XT does 0-60 in between 5.7 and 6.2 seconds, depending on the reviewer tests. That's nearly 2018 WRX fast (5.5 seconds).

I hope to do my own test drive of the Outback XT in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Greetings,
I enjoy this kind of post- thanks for writing it. I am curious to know, why service every 10,000 miles instead of 6,000? (unless you mean 10,000 km).

I just love the auto-dimming side mirrors. Probably my favorite add-on.

I am a rep and do a lot of distance driving. a lot of the service needs are based on time and exposure vs actual mileage. i rework the recommendmation plan based on this. gasket and stuff of nature 6,000 or 6 months i treat as a time based appointment so i know when i have service in 6 months to get that replaced because 6,000 miles ill hit in 2-3 months. alll fluids and filters i round to the nearest 10,000.

i am sure there are going to be a folks who disagree with me, but ive done this with a rav4 2010 went we went from 4 miles to 256,000 (this is what i traded in for the ascent) and my forester from 9 miles to 105,000 and going, so it is working for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I knew what our drivetrain could do on paper, but I was surprised to see it in action. Did you know that our Ascents can match the Outback 3.6R in 0-60 even though they're half a ton heavier?

The Outback XT does 0-60 in between 5.7 and 6.2 seconds, depending on the reviewer tests. That's nearly 2018 WRX fast (5.5 seconds).

I hope to do my own test drive of the Outback XT in the coming weeks.
the immediate power is so impressive. it is staggering the amount of people who dont know how to use highway entrance ramps as a place to speed up and merge at speed, with traffic. often I have to get from 15 to 65 mph.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
the immediate power is so impressive. it is staggering the amount of people who dont know how to use highway entrance ramps as a place to speed up and merge at speed, with traffic. often I have to get from 15 to 65 mph.
And, it's fun. ?

·
Registered
21 Posts

Time will tell with this new engine, the EZ36D was awesome super balanced engine. Maybe in high altitude the 2.4t may have won. Also with the EZ36D you may never have to worry about walnut blasting your port to clean it ;) ;)

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Fortunately, it's a beefier version of the FA20, which has been doing pretty well. It also has a couple different systems designed to mitigate needing to walnut blast the valves.

But, I will let you all know as time progresses. I will break 50,000 miles pretty soon.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
"""...it is staggering the amount of people who dont know how to use highway entrance ramps as a place to speed up and merge at speed..."""

Merge morons. I can't count the number of times I've seen drivers slam on the brakes at the end of a merge lane and get rear ended. It really doesn't take that much power to do it correctly. The Ascent has way more than enough.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
"""...it is staggering the amount of people who dont know how to use highway entrance ramps as a place to speed up and merge at speed..."""

Merge morons. I can't count the number of times I've seen drivers slam on the brakes at the end of a merge lane and get rear ended. Most prevelent in the northeast US and Chile, among the places I've driven more regularly. It really doesn't take that much power to do it correctly. The Ascent has way more than enough.
We have the problem of often needing to. Some of our parkways on Long Island have zero merge distance (like a car length or two). Even a Tesla or motorcycle would be hard pressed on some.

Here's one of them... definitely not the shortest, either.

·
Registered
824 Posts
We have the problem of often needing to. Some of our parkways on Long Island have zero merge distance (like a car length or two). Even a Tesla or motorcycle would be hard pressed on some.

View attachment 1948
Without enlarging the pic I knew this is the Southern State,going through Nassau Cty your mpg’s will suffer some due to all the twisties.I avoided it with a passion unless something big happens on the LIE or Northern State.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Without enlarging the pic I knew this is the Southern State,going through Nassau Cty your mpg’s will suffer some due to all the twisties.I avoided it with a passion unless something big happens on the LIE or Northern State.
I try to take Ocean Parkway nowadays. It's quicker, even if 13 miles more commute each way.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Thats one way to keep your sanity even if you have to reroute due to the traffic conditions,which is never good during commission time.
I traveled those roads for 21yrs all hours of the day and all types of conditions.Glad I had the hours at work which allowed me to travel during non-commission hours for the last 10 yrs. and don’t miss it.

·
Registered
542 Posts

View attachment 1948
On sections of the 110 FWY near Pasadena, CA you almost need a carrier catapult to get you to highway speeds (55). You have about one car length to merge after the stop sign.

The Pasadena Freeway (110), or “Arroyo Seco Parkway” as it was originally called, is on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places as the first freeway in the Western United States. The first segment was opened to traffic in 1938 with most of the rest of the freeway opening by the end of 1940.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
am a rep and do a lot of distance driving. a lot of the service needs are based on time and exposure vs actual mileage. i rework the recommendmation plan based on this. gasket and stuff of nature 6,000 or 6 months i treat as a time based appointment so i know when i have service in 6 months to get that replaced because 6,000 miles ill hit in 2-3 months. alll fluids and filters i round to the nearest 10,00
While you're nearly out of OEM warranty based on mileage already, not following the manufacturer recommended maintenance schedule by extending it by 60% could potentially affect warranty coverage should something fail.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
803 Posts
Here is an engineering marvel in Flint MI that combines the exit and entrance ramps for crazy busy I75 North. It's always exiting!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
^^^ That's pretty standard for cloverleaf interchanges in many many places. I go through several on my commute and they generally work fine as long as drivers merging on and off of the road maintain speed. Of course it only takes one to put a monkey wrench in it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.