Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Ascents have a 10 amp limit on the 12 volt outlets. The better tire pumps on Amazon suck 15 amps.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a 10 amp max tire pump?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I know that this isn't what you asked for, but this was the one I bought upon recommendations from this Forum and the Ascent FB group:

It's a 20 amp max draw - which I know is a problem, but that's bypassed with the direct-to-battery aligator clamps.

I'm a firm believer in practicing emergency procedures before there's a need to effect them in real-life use, so I've given this pump a try a few times on our off-season mounted tires, and it seems to work great (in the "under impossibly blue skies and fluffy white clouds" setting of my home driveway :) ). It stores very compactly, too.

·
Registered
78 Posts

I already had the batteries and I like that it can be used untethered and does not put any stress on the car’s electrical system. One battery will just about fill an empty Honda Accord tire. Dewalt and Milwaukee have similar inflators.
OTOH I don’t think it’s a good idea to long-term store lithium batteries in a car, so I only carry this on longer trips out of town, with other trip supplies.

·
Registered
235 Posts

I already had the batteries and I like that it can be used untethered and does not put any stress on the car’s electrical system. One battery will just about fill an empty Honda Accord tire. Dewalt and Milwaukee have similar inflators.
OTOH I don’t think it’s a good idea to long-term store lithium batteries in a car, so I only carry this on longer trips out of town, with other trip supplies.
While this may not be exactly what @JimJ was asking for, that looks very similar to the one I have from Ryobi (I too have several of their batteries). I like that it is lightweight and the pressure gauge seems to be very accurate. It will fill about 1.5 pounds past your setting, but once it cuts off, the pressure gauge goes down a little and settles right where you wanted it to. It's also decently quick to fill. Good luck with your hunt.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I have had success with all of these...

So much for the HOV lane. No room for that additional passenger. I've got gear.o_O

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
So much for the HOV lane. No room for that additional passenger. I've got gear.o_O
LMAO!!! Yeah, it's big. I use a Plano 1719 68 quart tote for my off roading gear, including my 75 pound floor jack. The Dewalt goes next to it. Barely.

Takes up a whole row.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your time in replying. The one consistent tidbit I took from the replies was that a 10 amp pump would work. Taking that to Amazon, I got one of these:
It's nominally 10 amps, with a 15 amp inline fuse. It's little, fills a tire from 29psi to 33.5 psi quickly, not too noisy, and it has a nice handle (to keep me from picking it up by a hot part.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts