Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the 12v port in the cargo area only work when the car is running? Or am I doing something wrong? So far this is the only 12v port I can find.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
491 Posts
There's another one hiding in that little compartment up front under the climate control stuff. It's kind of hidden way in the back of that little rectangular box shaped compartment.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
491 Posts
You're welcome. And I'm guessing they'd be too much of a battery drain if they worked without the car on.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thank you! I found the second one, but...neither work when the car isn't running.
Page 290 in the (2019) owner's manual - "Electrical power (12 V DC) is available at any of the accessory power outlets when the ignition switch is in either the “ACC” or “ON” position."

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Page 290 in the (2019) owner's manual - "Electrical power (12 V DC) is available at any of the accessory power outlets when the ignition switch is in either the “ACC” or “ON” position."
This is true, but please be mindful of the device amperage draw and its draw duration.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I was wanting one that was always on as well but it is not to be unless you run your own wiring from the battery.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was wanting one that was always on as well but it is not to be unless you run your own wiring from the battery.
I'd like to run a refrigerator but the stock outlet won't work. I'll have to run a dedicated circuit for that if I ever add it.

I also have a 2004 Grand Cherokee that I've just held on to. It has two 12V outlets up front, and one is switched while the other is not and is labeled with a battery icon. But, this always-powered socket isn't a direct connection to the battery's POS terminal, it's actually regulated at 12.5V. I've had a battery issue with this car and was looking to plug a solar charger into the cigarette socket to charge (25W panel with a charge controller), but since this socket is regulated, you can't charge the battery through it. I measured 12.5V at the socket, but 12.25V at the battery. So even always-on sockets may not be as direct as we hope. (But regulated power is a good thing...)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts