Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an always on 12V near the hitch? I'd like to tap into it somewhere inside the car to add a waterproof LED light with switch in the hitch area.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The typical 6 prong trailer plug usually has a power side to it. The 4 prong plugs do not. However even on heavy duty trucks the power side on the trailer plug typically has a low amp rating and isn’t very good for heavy RV charging. Trickle charge yes it’s possible. Fir heavy charging most people rely on the trailer be it generator, solar or utility hook up.

On my small camp trailer all our needs are easily covered by a simple solar charging system. $30 solar controller, and whatever wattage panels you need anc your set for basics, fridge, lighting and small devices etc.

AC or AC/ electric heat pump you need a heavy generator or utility hook up. No car will power those.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Is there an always on 12V near the hitch? I'd like to tap into it somewhere inside the car to add a waterproof LED light with switch in the hitch area.

There is one near the hitch - on the left side when you open it up. I don't know if it's always on and don't have anything to test it with. If no one answers the question try searching the manual online.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Best to just tie a ATV led light to the 12v backup light. I did that on my Land Cruiser. Huge flood light was great could see everything like day time behind me.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I’ve found when the subispeed light in the gate is installed, it illuminates the hitch perfectly at night. Rigid does sell some rock lights you might be able to wire in, my guess is you could come up through a body plug under the rear storage area and tap into a constant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts