Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Ascent Limited
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those with electrical knowledge....

I have a 350w dc to ac inverter with a power surge up to 1100 watts. Will this work in the Ascent to make a pot of coffee? Having a veteran's breakfast in a parking lot and wondering if this will work with the engine running of course.

The coffee pot is just a 12 cup Mr. Coffee type. Would like to use the the ear outlet for convenience, if there is a difference. Not concerned about keeping ot warm, just the perking part. Takes about 10 minutes to perk.

Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
Your mr coffee is going to take about 800w is my guess, so that's 66A @ 12V. The car cig wiring is not going to work for that.
You will need a 1500W inverter and it will likely come with battery terminal clips or bolt on terminals. You will need to have the engine running and insure it's fused properly.
Better alternative is to brew coffee at home, and use a pump top dispenser (or 2 of them)

( i live off grid and know this stuff backwards and forwards)

·
Premium Member
2020 Ascent Limited
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your mr coffee is going to take about 800w is my guess, so that's 66A @ 12V. The car cig wiring is not going to work for that.
You will need a 1500W inverter and it will likely come with battery terminal clips or bolt on terminals. You will need to have the engine running and insure it's fused properly.
Better alternative is to brew coffee at home, and use a pump top dispenser (or 2 of them)

( i live off grid and know this stuff backwards and forwards)

View attachment 5419
Thank you. I will brew at home. I didn't know how to figure it out.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring Brilliant Bronze
104 Posts
You could get an additional battery just for that purpose with the 1500 watt inverter as mentioned this way if it goes dead versus your car's battery, you're not stuck. If you are using it for camping, charge it along with your RV battery when you've got it on your generators (a lot of assumptions there). The additional battery also adds some portability too - put it on your picnic table by where you are eating ... etc.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ascent Limited
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t drink hot beverages but I am fairly sure you can get a 12v coffee maker for cars.
This is a one time deal. A local Veterans group is having a bagel and coffee get together. Due to COVID they are having it in a parking lot with no electric. Not worth buying a 12 volt coffee pot. I can make a 30 cup pot at home and bring it. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.