Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Celebrating a fantastic first year as a first time Ascent (and Subaru) owner and I wanted to post a quick 'success story' post and maybe help a few newer Ascent club members fully experience their vehicle. Yes, many of these things are in the manual. But nearly all of them I learned from all the awesome folks who take the time to contribute on this forum. ;-)

• Holding the ACC speed up/down will cause the speed setting to change by single numbers instead of 5s.
• Using the paddle shifter while in D gives you a helpful temporary 'downshift' that will remain and help brake downhill until you add accelerator again it goes back to D.
• Light pressure on the brake pedal will get you some "grace" with EyeSight collision avoidance alerts/action. (like when the car in front is slowing down and turning into a driveway, but not quite out of your lane yet)
• Pushing middle captains chair 'seatback' up first will cause it to lock on its track further forward instead of sliding all the way back and then locking.
• Pressing the little 'radio tune arrows' on the radio always seek... Steering wheel arrow short press moves to next preset.. long press to seek.
• Opening door before turning off engine will cause dinging that lasts (even after engine off) until exiting and closing driver door. (yes sometimes safety is noisy)
• Rear tailgate will not open via the remote if the doors are locked. Press unlock first.
• Opening other doors before the driver door will cancel the auto-unlock feature. (known "bug", there's a TSB you can have dealer apply to fix it :)
• MySubaru app has shortcut feature (android and iOS) that let's you start, locate, lock, unlock with two clicks.
• "Chirp" when cold and shifting from R to D is normal.
• MPG is highly dependent on my driving style. (With great power (torque) comes great responsibility. ;-)

Hope it helps!!!

How about you? What's your one or two things you discovered?

·
Registered
567 Posts
1). Key Number Plate - a tiny metal tag (1/4"x1/2" ?) attached to one of your key fobs when taking possession has a 5 digit code on it. SAVE THIS. It will say you $$$'s if you ever have to replace a lost fob. I put the 5 digit number in my cellphone since I'm sure I wouldn't have that tag with me if I lost my Fob while away from home. See Page 118 of Manual:

"Carefully store the key number plate supplied with the access key fob. It is necessary for vehicle repair and additional registration of access key fobs. For details, refer to “Key replacement” FP132. "

2.) Pin Code - there is a second button on the rear lift gate that you can program in a 5 digit pin code. Using this button you can punch in your code to unlock the driver's side door - with no key fob any where around. This button is on the "lip" of the gate a couple of inches to the right of the license plate. You can also use this button to lock all doors. I use it when pumping gas since the doors have to be unlocked to open the gas tank cover. You can just reach over and press it to lock the doors while pumping - so much easier than pulling out a Fob or touching a front door handle.

Look for Pin Code in the thick manual - Page 126. It's easiest to copy the page and have it with you or someone reading the instructions to you. You only have so many seconds between step. The instructions sound complicated, but it's actually pretty easy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use it when pumping gas since the doors have to be unlocked to open the gas tank cover. You can just reach over and press it to lock the doors while pumping - so much easier than pulling out a Fob or touching a front door handle.
Genius!! I knew I could use it to unlock via PIN... but didn't know I could just tap it to lock/unlock the doors provided I have the fob on me. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,880 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
I just learned about 2 days ago that a long press of the voice assistant steering wheel button will activate Siri, while a short press will activate the Subaru voice.
Was this common knowledge? I feel like y’all should’ve mentioned this!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
I just learned about 2 days ago that a long press of the voice assistant steering wheel button will activate Siri, while a short press will activate the Subaru voice.
Was this common knowledge? I feel like y’all should’ve mentioned this!
Yup, totally common knowledge except for you! ? Page 200 of the Radio & Nav manual.

I find this very useful especially for sending a quick text message hands free.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
Yup, totally common knowledge except for you! ? Page 200 of the Radio & Nav manual.

I find this very useful especially for sending a quick text message hands free.
Anything else hiding in there? I never bothered to open that manual ?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,880 Posts
Good to know! With all this CVT recall campaign, I started to listen to my CVT more attentively and this sound seemed like the beginning of the CVT end :) - slipping....
The "CVT" isn't the heart of the recall...it's the wiring harness. In some cases, the wiring harness damaged the CVT which then requires replacement. But yes, the chirp is normal.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Another one some might not know...

If you want to check or reset the odometer, there is no need to turn the car on (or have a key on you). You can just press the button and the dash will temporarily light up and will allow you to see or reset the odometer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice list, and a good source of tips.

• Pressing the little 'radio tune arrows' on the radio will switch presets if on radio view… but will 'seek' if in another view like navigation.
I tested this one out and do not have the same functionality. I have a premium, no navigation. I am guessing this is why. If I am on the home screen or in carplay and use the radio seek buttons, they seek just as always.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Another one some might not know...

If you want to check or reset the odometer, there is no need to turn the car on (or have a key on you). You can just press the button and the dash will temporarily light up and will allow you to see or reset the odometer.

Oooo thats a good one! Going to test that one out later today.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
If there is too much tension against the steering wheel lock the engine won't start. If you have a keyed ignition it's pretty obvious because the key won't turn so you intuitively know to turn the steering wheel a bit so the key will turn.

But if you have push button start the Start button will flash green and nothing happens. There is also a brief "Turn Wheel To Start Engine" warning screen displayed in the center guage cluster but it goes away after a couple of seconds and it's easy to miss.

This had me baffled for about 5 minutes until I finally saw the warning message, the car is basically in an On state but the engine isn't running. I had parked an a slight incline with the wheels turned sharply which caused excessive pressure against the locking mechanism.

There is a tiny blurb in the Owner's Manual under Push Button Start but the warning screen isn't mentioned anywhere.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts