Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the car in for inspection today.
We drive conservatively and mostly highway. Tires are properly inflated.
Well....
12K miles and tires won’t pass inspection.
Subaru will pay half of the cost for a new set.
I’m thinking more like 3/4. This is ridiculous.
How’s YOUR tread looking?

·
Registered
775 Posts
I do an alignment twice a year, once in the fall when I switch from my summer wheels and tires to the winter ones, and then again in the spring when I switch back.

Because of this, I've had no unusual wear so far. However the alignments do not seem to help the tendency of the car to want to wander a lot at highway speeds.

·
Super Moderator
2,427 Posts
Just hit 20k myself. Stock 18” tires holding up well. I’m expecting 30k from them based on how they’re wearing

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
We don't have state inspections, but everything checked out last week when I went in for my 12k oil change. I have a dial tread depth gauge at home. I haven't used it recently - maybe I'll report back with my measurements. I do know the tires have been rotated at 6k and 12k. I will do it myself when my included 'free' service period is over.

I expected 30k out of the OEM tires from the beginning, just because they're OEM tires and those don't tend to have the best treadwear ratings. I think I'll get that much mileage and maybe even more, but I'll change them at 30k regardless. I'm itching to choose my own tires.

I'd be thrilled if my dealer offered to pay for 1/2 of a new set! IMO I think expecting them to pay 3/4 is asking too much. Perhaps 2/3 may be reasonable if you want to really push them.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
I'm at 11,500 on my Limited and the tires still look like new, I noticed that yesterday when I was parked with the front wheels turned so I could see the tread.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Perhaps check and see if they can get you a different tire. Perhaps something about how or where you drive is affecting tire wear. Most Subaru dealerships carry a decent line of tires, and maybe they can apply the credit towards something more suited to your needs.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I have over 20k on my tires and they look fine. Only lasting 12k miles is really odd unless you really enjoy burn-outs or have a really bad alignment. Can the Ascent even spin the tires with all the traction control stuff on it?

Robert is right you should look at different tires that will hold up under your driving conditions. If you figure out what’s happening to them please let us know. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
205 Posts
When it’s a warranty which I’m guessing is what’s done not Subaru fronting the bill you have to stick with that brand. They will let you upgrade tho but I don’t think they sell much else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We just got new tires for our Touring - 22k miles. Pretty disappointed. Mostly distance driving in eastern NC and Va, so no hills and we're not towing anything or too loaded down. But, in fairness, not sure how many times we had the tires rotated, so maybe that would have helped a bit. But, on the positive side, we went with a Goodyear tire and the ride and noise level is like night and day, so if the dealer's going to get you a discount, I'd say get them to apply it to a better tire or pay the extra money yourself. Of course, pretty disapponted that Subaru went so cheap on a $40k vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To follow up, the alignment is dead-on. This is a family car, driven conservatively.
I’ve now learned that the dealer pointed out excessive wear as early as the first scheduled oil change, and they say they’ve seen a few cases of this.
I suspect the cheap tires were put on to help keep the price point low on the new model.
The new tire options are an upgrade- Generals or Goodyear are the choices iirc.
Definitely still annoyed.
And today we had the sudden transmission death syndrome. Fortunately the ‘My Subaru’ app recorded it and we got it to the dealer with all codes intact.
sigh

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,844 Posts
The thing is ... they are not "cheap" tires and are from a reputable manufacturer. OEM tires from Goodyear, Michelin and others would cost Subaru similarly. That said, 12K is an unusually life span for tires. Either you got a full set of four with a problem or something is going on with your vehicle, despite the alignment appearing to be correct.

Reactions: kathytn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
New tires are on the car and thank you to Williams Subaru of Sayre, PA.
Williams ate the cost of the alignment that SOA insisted upon (despite dead even wear on all 4 tires).
Now we deal with the transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well....
No kidding. I got 18k and no $ from dealer. Tire guy said the tires were cheap. Got 60k guarantee on the new tires.

·
Registered
573 Posts
When shopping for tires I generally disregard the mileage guarantee and look at the UTQG first. AA and A ratings are my first requirement, safety first and then I look at wear ratings. The mileage guarantee means nothing if the shop you use isn't going to honor it. So I have stuck to using the local Discount tire for our vehicles, but the Ascent may end up at the dealer for tires since we have the oil changed and tires rotated at the same time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
last two vehicles i've purchased, I immediately got some trade in credit at discount tire and got better tires.
my experience is the ones that generally come with new vehicles aren't particularly impressive and have pretty bad reviews. this seems to often be the case even when they actually cost more than a better upgrade tire.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Well....
13000 miles and all four still have very good tread depth. In addition all four have same depth.

·
Registered
261 Posts
9K miles, i keep an eye on pressures, but have never aligned the car. I do my own oil changes and my own rotations, so I always keep an eye on wear. They are wearing even so alignment should be good. With that said...I'll be surprised if I get 20K miles. Its not the cars fault, or perhaps even the tire. It has a 360 treadwear which isnt bad...but I constantly drive with the family in the car which means that I'm near the load limit of the car. I drive 75 to 85 on the highway often which puts heat in the tire. I drive off-road (mostly hard pack). I don't drive very conservatively when it comes to braking and cornering at times. So, for "my" use of the car...20K will be fine by me. At that point, I'll likely put a set of wheels and my choice of tire on the car and live happily ever after.

BUT, in all honesty...has ANYONE ever been happy with an OEM tire on a car? I know i haven't and have improved every handling aspect of every car I've owned by selecting the tire that best suits my driving style. Just my $0.02.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts