Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry in advance if this is a silly question! Is there any reason I shouldn’t use the outlet in my Touring to charge my small RV/trailer battery?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Yes, you're just going to drain your Ascent battery so it doesn't start!

A better option is to get a solar panel charger for your RV battery.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Sorry in advance if this is a silly question! Is there any reason I shouldn’t use the outlet in my Touring to charge my small RV/trailer battery?
Yes, you're just going to drain your Ascent battery so it doesn't start!

A better option is to get a solar panel charger for your RV battery.
Additionally, it's a 100W inverter. I know of no charger (suitable for an RV battery) that's 100W or less.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I believe, with the factory trailer hitch install, one of the leads on the 7 pin plug is a hot battery lead which could charge the rv battery while you are driving if connected properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I believe, with the factory trailer hitch install, one of the leads on the 7 pin plug is a hot battery lead which could charge the rv battery while you are driving if connected properly.
I second that. That’s what I was told when I picked up my trailer a few days ago

·
Registered
53 Posts
Guys, does this come on with the factory tow package and wiring or does it need an additional fuse added under the dash to enable charging to a trailer battery? When I picked up my trailer last week the guy plugged in an adapter and told me that my 7 pole was not currently set up to charge my trailer battery. ( They also told me many things I didn’t believe....so wanted to see if anyone had any other info.)

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Guys, does this come on with the factory tow package and wiring or does it need an additional fuse added under the dash to enable charging to a trailer battery? When I picked up my trailer last week the guy plugged in an adapter and told me that my 7 pole was not currently set up to charge my trailer battery. ( They also told me many things I didn’t believe....so wanted to see if anyone had any other info.)
Works with the factory tow package. We charge the Heartland Edge M18 all the time simply by plugging it in and turning the engine on. We started one trip with a nearly dead trailer battery. It was charged before the end of the first leg (2 hours).

Was the car started?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I’m almost positive it was, again, not the brightest guys at this RV dealer unfortunately, so it could have been their oversight. Mostly wanted to know if I may have needed to insert a missing fuse after finished up the install of the hitch and plugged in all wiring harnesses to allow that charge feature to be enabled to the trailer. I’ll just have to check on my trip this weekend! Thanks @Robert.Mauro!

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I’m almost positive it was, again, not the brightest guys at this RV dealer unfortunately, so it could have been their oversight. Mostly wanted to know if I may have needed to insert a missing fuse after finished up the install of the hitch and plugged in all wiring harnesses to allow that charge feature to be enabled to the trailer. I’ll just have to check on my trip this weekend! Thanks @Robert.Mauro!
As far as I can tell, there's no fuse to install, so, unless a pin is bent someplace, or a harness connector is loose, you should be all set. Please keep us posted, and, let me know if you run into any problems. I can run a probe on mine and we can compare.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Duh! I can just check with my volt meter and we can compare, do you know what pins to check to see if it’s “on”?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,877 Posts
The 7-pin is a standard RV hookup and should support the feature as Robert indicates. Running engine may be required for that pin to be active to insure the vehicle battery doesn't drain, however.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Duh! I can just check with my volt meter and we can compare, do you know what pins to check to see if it’s “on”?
I have a chart someplace. I will check when I get back home.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts