Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have just purchased a small travel trailer to be pulled by a 2021 Ascent. I will have two accessories that need access to the 12 volt outlet: an observation system/camera and a tire pressure monitoring system. Should I use a splitter to connect both to the front outlet or get an extension cord to run to the one in the rear? I’m concerned the two devices might draw more than is safe from just the one outlet.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
We have just purchased a small travel trailer to be pulled by a 2021 Ascent. I will have two accessories that need access to the 12 volt outlet: an observation system/camera and a tire pressure monitoring system. Should I use a splitter to connect both to the front outlet or get an extension cord to run to the one in the rear? I’m concerned the two devices might draw more than is safe from just the one outlet.
You will need to determine if both devices would be operating at the same time.
Next, you will need to determine what the amperage draw is for each device.
Check the manual and or Subaru to determine what the amperage is for each outlet.
How long will the devices be operating?
Will the devices be operating with or without the engine running?

The answers to each of those questions will lead you to a strategy for supplying power to your devices.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ascent Limited
132 Posts
Thanks. I’ll check the draw on both devices and compare with the Subaru specs. They both will be operating continuously while I’m on the road. Engine running.
If it helps, I ran a 12 volt extension cord from the 12v outlet in the back up to the dash area. I plug a dash camera into that one and use the console one for my blue light.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,160 Posts
I"m doubtful that either of these two devices draw a whole lot of power given their nature, but if it brings you peace of mind, an extension cable to the back isn't difficult or expensive. But has has been mentioned, check the power specifications, particularly for amp draw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.