Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
12,000 mile service of my 2019 Ascent is due. I am getting it done along with the two recalls.
Aside from the recalls related work, for the 12,000 mile service what are the:
(a) absolutely essential things
(b) what I should probably get done apart from those
(c) and what I should just say no to?
Whichever dealership I go to, for whichever brand, there's always the tendency to tack on more than that is necessary...hence the question.

Oh and amid this whole Coronavirus scare, is it even advisable to go for service? Or is it better to wait? I am in Bay Area.
The dealership is offering a loaner, but part of me is worried about how clean that loaner is going to be, and how clean my car will be once it is through the service/recall work.
Any advise would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I don’t think there’s anything to do @ 12K...
Do the cabin filter and engine air filter yourself (if they’re calling for either one.)
I think brake flush @ 20K is the first “major” paid item.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
12,000 mile service of my 2019 Ascent is due. I am getting it done along with the two recalls.
Aside from the recalls related work, for the 12,000 mile service what are the:
(a) absolutely essential things
(b) what I should probably get done apart from those
(c) and what I should just say no to?
Whichever dealership I go to, for whichever brand, there's always the tendency to tack on more than that is necessary...hence the question.

Oh and amid this whole Coronavirus scare, is it even advisable to go for service? Or is it better to wait? I am in Bay Area.
The dealership is offering a loaner, but part of me is worried about how clean that loaner is going to be, and how clean my car will be once it is through the service/recall work.
Any advise would be much appreciated.
Just do not lick the seats or stearing wheel and you will be fine. Seriously, just wipe down the areas you would touch with your hands. You do not get an infection by touching an infected area if you wash your hands and do not touch your face. No need to wait for service. Most dealers are also disinfecting the vehicle loaners.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,528 Posts
Oil Change, Tire Rotation and multi-point inspection. Do the filters yourself to save big bucks. Packout's advise for personal protection is sound.

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
I don’t think there’s anything to do @ 12K...
Do the cabin filter and engine air filter yourself (if they’re calling for either one.)
I think brake flush @ 20K is the first “major” paid item.
Close. It's at 30,000 miles. Check, and flush if necessary.

• 30,000 mile replace engine air filters, brake fluid, and gear fluid as needed, oil and filter change, rotate tires.
  • 12,000 miles/12 mos inspection, tire rotation, cabin air filter, oil change.

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
How hard is it to change the cabin filter? I know the Forester is harder to do than I wan to tackle.
Ridiculously easy. I think there's a vid on YouTube for the Ascent or newer Outbacks. Same procedure, pretty much.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Close. It's at 30,000 miles. Check, and flush if necessary.

• 30,000 mile replace engine air filters, brake fluid, and gear fluid as needed, oil and filter change, rotate tires.
  • 12,000 miles/12 mos inspection, tire rotation, cabin air filter, oil change.
Gah! You're right. One of my other vehicles is every 20K (which I find real annoying.)

Sorry for the fake news!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I did take the car for service, finally.
12K service turned out to be ~$300+tax (including cabin filter) and ~$240+tax (without cabin filter). I protested, but was told that's what it is...
Considering the current near-lockdown situation, didn't want to go around to other dealers. So paid up and got it done (along with 2 recalls, which they said is essentially reprogramming - apparently they haven't seen a single case where transmission had to be replaced).
I overpaid, right? :-(

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I did take the car for service, finally.
12K service turned out to be ~$300+tax (including cabin filter) and ~$240+tax (without cabin filter). I protested, but was told that's what it is...
Considering the current near-lockdown situation, didn't want to go around to other dealers. So paid up and got it done (along with 2 recalls, which they said is essentially reprogramming - apparently they haven't seen a single case where transmission had to be replaced).
I overpaid, right? :-(
overpaid -no. Since the price was told to you ahead of time or was available to you to know ahead of the work order. No surprises. As I recall the cabin filter was about $20 and took me all of five to ten minutes to install. You paid $60 but did not have to lift a finger other than to hand over the plastic. I get my rotations for free from discount tire. I purchased their road hazard certificates on both the OEM all seasons and a set of new winter tires. I have been a customer of theirs for decades. They service the tires on my Ascent so I saved & (here). An oil change on my Ascent typically cost about $70-$80, although one time I got it for about $50 (there are usually some coupons I can take advantage of or I just ask and they at least give me $10 off). Their oil filter is less than $10. Napa Gold oil filter is $8. Engine oil per Subaru spec might run you about $25-$35. Many owners on the site change their own oil and filter. Some use the Fumoto valve to make the oil change a bit quicker, easier and less messy. Not sure what the dealer is inspecting at 12,000 that they do not look at through the free multi-point inspection.

All in all, you paid what it costs for someone else to do the work. The value is there if you do not want to bother shopping around or getting your hands dirty. Any way you get there, you are driving a great vehicle so enjoy!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Ray, it sounds like your dealer bundles interval service like mine does...it's the singular thing I'm not happy about with my local dealer. My 6K and 12K services done in Florida because I was traveling at the time for both were about 30% less in cost can they even washed the vehicle. No question, the quality of the work at my dealer is top-notch, but I really don't like being forced into a bundle that costs more. Their Jeep dealer next door was less expensive for a full synthetic 7 QUART oil/filter on the JGC I previously drove than Subaru is for our Ascent's little 5 quart setup...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
You do not need to accept the bundle. Since my vehicle had tthe warranty work done and each time had the multipoint inspections, I knew I did not need all of the bundle. I asked them to perform only one of the items listed in the bundle at the time of my regular oil change. The more in depth break system inspection is costing me $25. I can document that I purchased the cabin filter, had tire rotations. Had battery inspections and oil chsnges.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I agree that one doesn't have to accept the bundle. But the dealer I mentioned has creatively priced individual services such that it costs more to get a oil/filter change and tire rotation a la carté than it does with the 6K bundle. Again, it's my singular beef with them and it will resolve at some point. DT for tire rotations isn't an option here, BTW...they don't exist. But that will also resolve at the point I replace the OEM tires because the new ones will be purchased from Costco where there is "lifetime of the tires" free rotation/balance/road-hazard included.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I personally never use the words "XX Mile Service" at any dealer service department. I check what is required and ask for that.

Just checked the invoice and my 12,000 mile service, including a tire rotation, cost me $80.11. I usually change my own air and cabin filters.

The service manager is a good guy and never pressures anyone into getting extra stuff, unlike the finance guy. I got a free oil change at 18,000 miles because he thought I had to wait too long for the other recall work to be done.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I agree that one doesn't have to accept the bundle. But the dealer I mentioned has creatively priced individual services such that it costs more to get a oil/filter change and tire rotation a la carté than it does with the 6K bundle. Again, it's my singular beef with them and it will resolve at some point. DT for tire rotations isn't an option here, BTW...they don't exist. But that will also resolve at the point I replace the OEM tires because the new ones will be purchased from Costco where there is "lifetime of the tires" free rotation/balance/road-hazard included.
Go COSTCO! The dealers all charge more for individual services so it only makes sense to go that way if you are only needing one or maybe two.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I wish Costco sold Cooper tires.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I personally never use the words "XX Mile Service" at any dealer service department. I check what is required and ask for that.

Just checked the invoice and my 12,000 mile service, including a tire rotation, cost me $80.11. I usually change my own air and cabin filters.

The service manager is a good guy and never pressures anyone into getting extra stuff, unlike the finance guy. I got a free oil change at 18,000 miles because he thought I had to wait too long for the other recall work to be done.
I don't use that term either..."they" just put it in the system that way even when folks come in for express service (like I did) without an appointment. I was surprised after the fact and we had, um...a few words. I ended up getting the oil change for free...that time, at least. :)

Go COSTCO! The dealers all charge more for individual services so it only makes sense to go that way if you are only needing one or maybe two.
They only do tires. They do not do other kinds of service. So it's the dealer or an independent and while the latter can sometimes be less expensive, there's no loaner or transportation, etc. I don't mind paying for a little extra convenience, but not "through the nose"

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I wish Costco sold Cooper tires.
Their relationship is with Michelin/BFG which is why than can offer slightly better prices. It's kinda the same way they deal with vendors for almost all their products. They sell at or sometimes even slightly below cost...they make their money on membership. They sell LOTS of gas, too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Next time I'll check what the manual recommends and get only those things done. Thanks for the suggestions and it is probably better to just change the cabin filter on my own.

Certainly, it is the bundling of services, including many which are barely needed, which jacks-up the prices. Last time, at 6K miles, at another dealership, I was quoted 240 (oil change, tire rotation, MPI, fluid top-up etc). For oil change only it was $89, I asked tire rotation to be added, which was another $30. I just got those two done. $120 for MPI and fluid-top up just didn't seem right.
After the service was done, the service guy told me there's a nail in the front passenger side tire, which is irreparable and requires the tire to be replaced. Either I could change all four or they can shave a new tire to match tread-depth and replace just one, which would be cheaper (quoted about 300).

For tires, except for the long wait-times in our area, Costco is superb. I took my car to Costco tire center for the nail issue. Obviously, I didn't buy tires from there and they were Falken (not Michelin, BFG or Bridgestone), they agreed to take a look and even fix for $11. After taking off the tire and inspecting it, they could just pull out the nail. They actually refunded my $11. Not a big amount, but the gesture was nice.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Next time I'll check what the manual recommends and get only those things done. Thanks for the suggestions and it is probably better to just change the cabin filter on my own.

Certainly, it is the bundling of services, including many which are barely needed, which jacks-up the prices. Last time, at 6K miles, at another dealership, I was quoted 240 (oil change, tire rotation, MPI, fluid top-up etc). For oil change only it was $89, I asked tire rotation to be added, which was another $30. I just got those two done. $120 for MPI and fluid-top up just didn't seem right.
After the service was done, the service guy told me there's a nail in the front passenger side tire, which is irreparable and requires the tire to be replaced. Either I could change all four or they can shave a new tire to match tread-depth and replace just one, which would be cheaper (quoted about 300).

For tires, except for the long wait-times in our area, Costco is superb. I took my car to Costco tire center for the nail issue. Obviously, I didn't buy tires from there and they were Falken (not Michelin, BFG or Bridgestone), they agreed to take a look and even fix for $11. After taking off the tire and inspecting it, they could just pull out the nail. They actually refunded my $11. Not a big amount, but the gesture was nice.
MPI is typically a free service at dealerships, or so I thought.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts