Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was offered $1000 off the sticker price today.... and said no thanks.

Curious...
Would you guys have taken the discount for a vehicle that is 90% to your liking? (In the market for a 7-passenger; dealer only had an 8).

Did I screw up? Are Captain’s chairs really worth it??

·
Registered
149 Posts
IMO captain’s chairs are worth it, yes. On a purchase as significant as a vehicle it’s best to stay the course and be patient. You only have the next 3, 7 or 12 years to curse your impatience and wonder shoulda coulda woulda... settling for what’s cheaper instead of holding out for what you really wanted is an error that will bite you right in the bumper. My two cents.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You didn't screw up anything. You should get what YOU want. After all, it's your money and only you will be happy when you get the right one. That's all that matters. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think you made a wise choice.. Plenty of other dealerships, and if you don't need the car urgently there will be much more room for negotiation once demand dies down a bit. I personally will never buy another 3 row vehicle without captains chairs.. I am currently in an infiniti QX60 and its a pain in the rear (no pun intended) to get people in the back with bench chairs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
After having them since we bought our Odyssey in 2005, captains chairs were a key requirement for us this time around. Would have given on some things, but the seating configuration has a pretty big impact on daily use, so it should be right for you - whichever config that is!

·
Registered
932 Posts
You can't go to the used car factory. That being said, if it's a car you're going to have for a while - you should wait and get what you want.

Otherwise, every time you get in that car you'll see the feature that it's missing, in this case the captain's chairs, and it will be a point of anger or resentment towards the vehicle.

Get what you want. Don't settle for something else if it is still available - not like we're talking something discontinued like a 3.6 & 5EAT combo ;)

The only caution or "gotcha" I've heard about the Captain's Chairs is that they don't fold 100% flat, which is a potential issue if you plan on sleeping in the cargo/rear parts, and that if you have more than 4 people in the car and a need for cargo, your cargo options are significantly more limited, because you can't have someone "smush" into the middle seat of the second row bench.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The only caution or "gotcha" I've heard about the Captain's Chairs is that they don't fold 100% flat, which is a potential issue if you plan on sleeping in the cargo/rear parts, and that if you have more than 4 people in the car and a need for cargo, your cargo options are significantly more limited, because you can't have someone "smush" into the middle seat of the second row bench.

This is true, the captain's chairs don't fold down flat. I slept in my car 4 nights last week and there is definitely an incline. However, I'm perfectly fine with a little incline - seems to match my adjustable bed at home. :tango_face_wink:The bigger problem was the 4"ish gap between the 2nd and 3rd row. I cut some foam to fit in that space then put a mat on top of it all. If you want to sleep perfectly flat, you will have to be creative.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think you made the right call by saying "No Thanks". If you do not NEED a new vehicle right now, such as for a growing family...I would hold off. There is A LOT of excitement around the Ascent and people all want to get into them ASAP and are paying MSRP and even over. For the dealers, if they can make more money, they should. I have been open with our dealer letting them know that I intend to trade my Flex in for an Ascent and that I would prefer to work with them, since they are in town and we have had good luck with purchasing my Wife's 2 Outbacks from them. They have not dropped from MSRP and I finally told my salesperson and the sales manager that when the market balances out, they are starting to sit on inventory and want to negotiate, to give me a call. I will only pay MSRP if they give me Retail Book for my car as a trade in. Retail to retail or wholesale to wholesale is the only way I will buy a car. I however do not NEED a new car, my 2015 Flex with 60K on the clock will keep on going down the road. I also refuse to finance over 4 years, so getting a good deal and staying "upright" on my vehicles is important to me.

Long story short, if you can, hold out for what you want to try to get the best deal you can.

I am curious as to how dealers will receive the clients that are purchasing their cars out of state from other dealers when it comes to service. I do believe, admittedly or not, that most dealers will take car of their clients first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts