Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming here to hear real life experiences from real people. I was settled on finding a used ‘19 or ‘20 Ascent but learned of some transmission issues that have given me pause. Gonna be in the market here soon, Love Subaru and wanna stick with them.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium Blue Abyss
259 Posts
Personally, if you can wait order one, the used market is meaning they are selling at sometimes higher prices then the new versions. And I'd not bother with a 2019 version because it will nearly be out of the warranty and yes some (small amount) did have issues. I'd order an YM 2022, they are meant to be coming out in October so you'll have time to save up a decent down payment or look into selling any current vehicles you may have. ALSO call Subaru and ask them about the loyalty certificate as you're wanting to buy a new vehicle. I was sent a $500 certificate for a non titled (brand new) Ascent to be used in the next 12 months. I had to called Subaru of America to get it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We have a 2019 Touring and have not experienced any transmission issues at 25K miles. You cannot go wrong ordering a new current/next model year Ascent, but there are also nice used ones on the market. Coming from a Forester, I think an Ascent will feel familiar, but more premium and certainly more powerful. I think the Ascent is the 90% solution to most driving situations. Great on the road, really good off-road, and big enough for most hauling jobs (people, gear, stuff), but also nimble for its size. Other than the size of the vehicle, the 2.4 L turbo in the Ascent may offer the largest contrast to your Forester. It is punchy and powerful, and the accelerator pedal requires a feather touch to maintain good/great MPG - which is easy to develop naturally, but also available through an aftermarket throttle remappers. That all new Subarus have 3-year/36,000 mile and 5-year and 60,000 mile powertrain warranties with a variety of options for fairly priced extended service/warranty plans from SOA - also available for used models still under the original warranty period - may ease your mind a bit about reliability concerns. This place is a great resource to determine exactly what you stated and get personal experiences from current owners. Welcome aboard...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I have a november 2018 build and everything is good so far. It's our 3rd Subaru. If you're paying cash, I think used ascent might be worth it, but 0%apr (5yrs) on new one is something to consider.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,464 Posts
Coming here to hear real life experiences from real people. I was settled on finding a used ‘19 or ‘20 Ascent but learned of some transmission issues that have given me pause
There have been relatively no "transmission" issues. There was a problem with some MY19 and maybe early MY20 VINS where the transmission harness was constructed in a way that potentially caused a failure in the transmission, but the actual TR690 transmission has been in use by Subaru for nearly 12 years now. Since you're looking at pre-owned, just be sure that the appropriate recalls were performed, if required, on the specific vehicles you consider and you should be fine. You'll enjoy upgrading from the Forester to the Ascent for sure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Personally, if you can wait order one, the used market is meaning they are selling at sometimes higher prices then the new versions. And I'd not bother with a 2019 version because it will nearly be out of the warranty and yes some (small amount) did have issues. I'd order an YM 2022, they are meant to be coming out in October so you'll have time to save up a decent down payment or look into selling any current vehicles you may have. ALSO call Subaru and ask them about the loyalty certificate as you're wanting to buy a new vehicle. I was sent a $500 certificate for a non titled (brand new) Ascent to be used in the next 12 months. I had to called Subaru of America to get it.
Hey, what's the process for ordering a MY2022 for the Ascent? Did you do that at the dealership? I couldn't find the 2022 on subaru's website yet.

·
Super Moderator
3,464 Posts
Hey, what's the process for ordering a MY2022 for the Ascent? Did you do that at the dealership? I couldn't find the 2022 on subaru's website yet.
Look again... ;) MY22 is now up on the Subaru site.

·
Super Moderator
3,464 Posts
They turned it up about the time you left to lament it not being there...perhaps even literally! (See thread in Subaru News subforum)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Coming here to hear real life experiences from real people. I was settled on finding a used ‘19 or ‘20 Ascent but learned of some transmission issues that have given me pause. Gonna be in the market here soon, Love Subaru and wanna stick with them.
In 2009, my wife's FXT needed a new long block.....:p

Our redacted Service Invoice for that appears in post #26 of the thread (09 Turbo engine failure).

Why did I post that?

Because despite the reputation of any one marque or line of vehicles within, it's always possible that a specific owner ends up with a vehicle that either has trouble in a certain area - or to get a complete lemon. 😑

That particular '09 FXT finished its lease with us without spending another day in the shop, much like the rest of our family's current history of nine (9) Subarus since 2005 (include my in-laws, and this brings the total to 14). My wife picked up a '13 FXT Touring when the lease ended on the '09. She's now in her second VA-WRX.

As with @Trey T , I also have a 2018-build. My Touring has given me no issues, to-date.

Sometimes, we just get an unlucky pick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts