Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5, 2021 Ascent Premium on the way
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 0.9% now. Still a good rate, but not as good as 0%! This is particularly aggravating for me, when I ordered my car in May 0% for 63 months was still an option. Still waiting on delivery....

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
At 0.9% now. Still a good rate, but not as good as 0%! This is particularly aggravating for me, when I ordered my car in May 0% for 63 months was still an option. Still waiting on delivery....

View attachment 13652
not sure you could have taken advantage of this offer since it requires taking delivery from stock and you ordered the vehicle.

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
not sure you could have taken advantage of this offer since it requires taking delivery from stock and you ordered the vehicle.
Some dealerships will place an order, transfer the vehicle into stock, and then sell it to you configured as you requested it... ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't consider the "dealer stock" aspect, but availability of 0% financing was part of the discussion before ordering so I don't have any reason to believe it would have been off the table.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,081 Posts
0% isn't really zero interest cost. As an SOA sponsored finance deal, when I bought in '20 there was a choice of 0% OR a $1500 rebate. One of the dozens of forms signed was assignment of rebate which was going to be paid to the finance company, Chase. Chase received the rebate as prepaid interest. Still a cheap loan, it's just not a free lunch.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
0% isn't really zero interest cost. As an SOA sponsored finance deal, when I bought in '20 there was a choice of 0% OR a $1500 rebate. One of the dozens of forms signed was assignment of rebate which was going to be paid to the finance company, Chase. Chase received the rebate as prepaid interest. Still a cheap loan, it's just not a free lunch.
Well regardless, it was an incentive available to the purchaser one way or another that now seems to be gone or diminished.

If you know the option exists, then do the math on what is more money in your pocket at the end of the day: taking the rebate or financing at 0%. I was not aware of the one and only time I financed at 0%

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmm, seems we made the right move two weeks ago deciding to get the Ascent on the lot instead of ordering one the color we wanted. Thanks

B

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
What are you buying and how much?

0.9% APR is still spectacular, IMO. I got 1.75% APR for 5yrs in 2018 and that was really good. Bought my Limited w/ just trailer hitch for $40.5K.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You may want to check about the 0.9% is for how long of a loan. Usually when Subaru says a certain rate but do not say for how many months, it is usually not for 60 or 63 months. If you look right now on their site, the 2021 Legacy is having a 0% for 63 months. Back in June when I bought the Ascent, they were offering 0% but didn't say for how long. I assumed it was for 63 months like the other models that were running a similar promotion. The 0% was for either 36 or 48 months, but I ended up getting 0.9% for 63 months.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What are you buying and how much?

0.9% APR is still spectacular, IMO. I got 1.75% APR for 5yrs in 2018 and that was really good. Bought my Limited w/ just trailer hitch for $40.5K.
21 Premium ~ invoice. It's less than $1k in interest, but still money I would like to keep on my own pocket!

You may want to check about the 0.9% is for how long of a loan. Usually when Subaru says a certain rate but do not say for how many months, it is usually not for 60 or 63 months. If you look right now on their site, the 2021 Legacy is having a 0% for 63 months. Back in June when I bought the Ascent, they were offering 0% but didn't say for how long. I assumed it was for 63 months like the other models that were running a similar promotion. The 0% was for either 36 or 48 months, but I ended up getting 0.9% for 63 months.
Yeah I was aware of that and did notice the 63 month option went missing a while back for the Ascent. I need to get in touch with the dealership, but it's a bit of a moot point since I still don't have a delivery date for my car.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
593 Posts
Most promo's are it must be in stock and delivery by x date. I can't say I have ever seen any promo that was valid for an order that came in after expiration.

·
Registered
206 Posts
That's interesting - when did you buy last year? I bought in December and there was no 0% or $1,500 option, only the 0% was available.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,722 Posts
The rates and terms change with the willingness of the manufacturer to subsidize the real interest rate for the loan. Given the constrained production/supply situation, there's less incentive to the manufacturer to subsidize ultra-low rates and long loan terms for some vehicles. I'm actually surprised that the 0% was in place for as long as it was!!

Reactions: rlb81

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's interesting - when did you buy last year? I bought in December and there was no 0% or $1,500 option, only the 0% was available.
It could be regional differences in the offers as well.

The rates and terms change with the willingness of the manufacturer to subsidize the real interest rate for the loan. Given the constrained production/supply situation, there's less incentive to the manufacturer to subsidize ultra-low rates and long loan terms for some vehicles. I'm actually surprised that the 0% was in place for as long as it was!!
Agreed, I'm also surprised it stuck around this long.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,120 Posts
This was the case for us last March (2020) in the mid-Atlantic region. The 0% offer from SoA was there, but the dealer either didn't have or was not willing to admit to a cash rebate available if we paid in cash or provided our own financing.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I didn't consider the "dealer stock" aspect, but availability of 0% financing was part of the discussion before ordering so I don't have any reason to believe it would have been off the table.
The 0% would be off, but if they inventory the vehicle you can get whatever fimancing is avalable at the time as long as you financially qualify.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium Blue Abyss
325 Posts
March 2021- they have 0% for 48 months.. Nothing else, if you used any other financing you'd not get anything. We asked about that as we wanted to see if we'd get the best rates.
Picked up in july
We got 1.9% for 72 months. The 63 months was 1.4% I believe. We chose the longer term for mainly lower payments just in case something came up. But we can pay more each month if we want.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The cost (to Subaru) of offering below market rate financing is baked into the selling price. If the dealer refuses to offer you the option of a cash rebate in lieu of their "bargain" financing (for example, when you intend to pay cash), walk out the door.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,081 Posts
4/30/20 in Florida. Mazda was doing the same. Kia had 0% but no other option (but they also required a big down payment)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts