Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Either it's worth $1,674 savings to take another car in inventory or it's worth the extra $1,674 to get the car you ordered.
The challenge there might actually be "inventory" that is the same or eve close to what the buyer wants...it's why such a large percentage of us factory order our Subarus.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The challenge there might actually be "inventory" that is the same or eve close to what the buyer wants...it's why such a large percentage of us factory order our Subarus.
I agree. I wanted a Premium 7 seat WITHOUT option package 12; the motorized rear hatch and keyless ignition specifically. What I discovered was the 7 seat comes standard with pkg 12. Meaning; the Premium pkg 12 IS the 7 passenger version. Why Subaru didn't just outright say this, I do not know. But I literally could not get a Premium 7 seat without pkg 12 and I didn't want the 8 seat, which I could get without pkg 12. Grrrrr......
Fine, then if I had to get pkg 12, then I did not want convenience pkg 3; the various mats/rear bumper guard/etc. I only wanted to get exterior dimming mirrors. But no can do. The exterior dimming mirrors only came in convenience packages unless I wanted to order separate and install after the purchase. But doing that, the warranty is only 12 months, not 36 months like the rest of the vehicle.
I finally decided that I was going to be forced to buy stuff that I didn't want, and even if I could buy without those things, told 12 weeks out for delivery.
My one good fortune is my dealer had 40+ Ascents on the lot and many more in route. I found one in route due in a week that would work. This delayed the purchase so that the .9% financing was revealed. Saved me over $1,600 in interest which just so happened to be what option pkg 12 plus convenience pkg 3 items I didn't particularly care to pay for cost. I was happy to sign with this knowledge; basically getting the stuff I didn't care to pay for free when doing the math.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Any of the "on the lot" vehicles that have accessories on them (so called "popular packages" or single items) were likely ordered that way by the dealer or were somehow specified that way for the regular allocation that comes in to each Subaru dealer based on volume. I do agree that sometimes the "packages" are confusing...there is a chart here somewhere in the forum that shows what they all are and in some cases, like you illustrate, the "package/code" "is" the vehicle, rather than the vehicle with something extra. Touring is like that. When you factory order, after you pick your trim and variation if there is one or more, you can choose any of the accessories you desire and have it on your factory order and with one exception on the Ascent, they can and will be "port installed" before the dealer receives delivery in most cases without additional installation cost. (regional variations may apply depending on who is the distributor) The one exception that I'm aware of is the fob based remote start which must be dealer installed. Some dealers charge installation fees for that; some do not if it's on your original order deal. (mine didn't tack on installation for the fob based remote in my deal, although I eventually didn't take delivery of that option and got a full refund for it after confirming that StarLink actually worked in our driveway which has minimal cellular signal)

Aside from getting the exact features I want, the primary reason I always order a vehicle is so I also get the exterior color and interior color I want, with the latter being more important in the scheme of things...I. Do. Not. Do. Black. ... Ever. Even with a substantial discount offered. Too many rides on dealer lots are in dark, dingy colors for some reason and I'm just not interested in them. I did have to settle for the brown interior for my Touring but my small discomfort about that wasn't because it was brown. Rather, it was because I had just spent 7 years in a similarly colored interior and I was hoping to go back to lighter. What can I say...I'm fickle. :)

Having 40 Ascents to choose from on the lot is a nice benefit when there is a high volume dealer that can offer that, including for folks who are pretty particular. Around here, most Subarus's sell so quickly at that the largest number of them that are delivered by non-mega-dealers are either customer factory orders or in-pipeline vehicles that match what a customer wants. The few that make it to the lot are either not there very long or are more basic trims that are not as popular with the local demographic. That pretty much means anything that comes in is spoken for. My Ascent was factory ordered; our MY16 Outback Limited with Eyesight was factory ordered, but fulfilled early by an in-pipeline vehicle that was the correct color and features. Our MY16 actual order became someone else's when it eventually came in.

·
Registered
265 Posts
What are these numbered option packages of which you speak? I got my Premium with the first one in the list of three on the Subaru US website. I call that #1. What's #12, etc.?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
They are pretty much "order codes" for the trim and variant for the trim. There's a table about this...I just found it by using Google. Here's a page from Planet Subaru that lists the codes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Another good source for everything-Ascent is cars101. Here's a link;
Cars 101 Ascent

Take the time to understand how this is laid out and you'll know everything about the Ascent for a build you'll ever need to know.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks. So I got option #12. Had I thought to look on the window sticker I would have seen that. Doh.

Back OT: I got mine in Aug. I didn't even bother checking rates and just paid cash. IDK what the rates were then but with the current 0.9%, financing makes more sense then paying cash.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks. So I got option #12. Had I thought to look on the window sticker I would have seen that. Doh.

Back OT: I got mine in Aug. I didn't even bother checking rates and just paid cash. IDK what the rates were then but with the current 0.9%, financing makes more sense then paying cash.
That's what I thought too. I traded in a car with $11,000 equity. I told the dealer I didn't want that applied to the sale price, but instead finance the whole car and give me my $11,000 in a check. I'm using the $11,000 to help pay for building my barn next spring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 0.9% deal just got extended until Jan 2, 2020 :)

Thanks for the info. Do these low finance rates typically end at the specified date (Dec 2 in this case) or do they get extended?
I'm sure it's impossible to say what'll happen for this particular one, but just curious how it's typically been in the past.

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
The 0.9% deal just got extended until Jan 2, 2020 :)
That date coincides with Subaru's Share the Love Charity Event. For every new Subie bought through that date, Subaru will donate $250 to the purchaser's choice of Make-A-Wish, Meals on Wheels, National Parks Foundation or the ASPCA. In some areas, there's also a local charity or two that the dealership has added to the list.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts