Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My two bits I bestow are this, use the Costco auto program for every car purchase, I honestly feel screwed because I thought I got a discount on my crosstrek ...place a refundable order. Continue to take that number to dealerships with inventory, know your demands but be able to walk away and someone will give you what you want.

Ordered a limited, Costco pricing was guaranteed close to invoice just had to wait... found a touring and a dealer who realized my value in it was set and I could walk away and now we proudly own a touring at +400.

Biggest pet peeves: can’t seem to turn off interior cabin lights when exiting the vehicle , this woke my newborn many times already

The cargo cover is kinda BS as you can see right through on the sides shade for groceries but not privacy... not happy SOA

No boost gauge???? It’s irrelevant that it’s small it irresponsible not to monitor things IMHO take that as you will but I saw it disappear from STIs before stock anyway and that was a sad day

Oh and the clips for the cargo cover that undoubtedly is going to either be stolen or fly off everyone’s vehicle as pretty as it is to cover up I wish they would have done a hidden hitch system instead because the clips hey used to secure that are also BS
I got on my back and under to take it off the vet first time and still almost lost the locking clip inside .... poor design but oh well you don’t lose anything but a faceplate

Also don’t like that I can no longer stow away my cords in center console like my crosstrek... however on the pro side they are much easier regular access here

Oh and maps wtf are we really going back years? You have to select certain regions? No Subaru without WiFi I want the North American and Canada Maps built in the extra SD card space weighs nothing compared to other things and hen no need for cell service connections or cafes in the boonies

6’2 is not comfy in the back row unless you have seven seater and here legs can go to the middle

Every other seat was easily manageable

Reclining options was nice

Subaru... why haven’t you made a seat that folds flat yet ?
When we all as a Subaru nation car camp once in a while the angle is just simply not appropriate such a tiny thing though

Losing gas mileage is always a con
Canada is almost 5$a gallon and PNW is slowly crawling that way and I had 250k on it when I traded

Now the pros!

We needed the space whether for people or gear we needed it and me my wife my baby and my dog often slept inside the crosstrek when camping or on long road trips and I’m 6’3!
This space is great! You can actually maneuver around well and the seating is nice

Remembering this
Prior was 2016 crosstrek limited

Not the fastest machine in the world but significant power where it was lacking especially on hills from the crosstrek which was truly a problem if you ever had a big canoe a loaded car and a family that crosstrek struggled on hills

Unless you need 8 in the regular I would get the 7

I often found it like a suburban feel on the pedal with a slightly loose steering wheel but very confident in the turns which I LOVE I hope to edit this when I have some winter driving in this as I was very happy with crosstrek in the long run and am curious with its weight how it handles sands/snow/ice.

I’ve yet to go to real mountains but will attempt an update after Canada trip

It’s road noise was a worry from reading but disappeared and was absolutely nothing compared to the crosstrek so we were very happy campers and I’m sure the Harmon audio helps

I found most of the features tech wise to work very well, with minor hiccups on how to set up

The eyesight driving has significantly improved I feel and am interested in feeling the differences in eco and dynamic driving modes

Did a lot of research before ending on the ascent and for now I’m happy! Be a while before I’m towing but that’s another day!

Almost “broken in”

The front and rear cameras are really cool features but since they are cameras already they could’ve certainly done a better job of showing you close up objects or idiots on your bumper. Remember there’s already tons of cameras and sensors in talking placement!

Interested in what people did with protection plan that covered glass and if it’s worth it??

That my rant for now
Maybe lastly
All weather mats should be the standard
I don’t need carpet on my carpet.... just saying

·
Registered
357 Posts
Why not just use some elesctrical tape on the lights for the time being.

Also why would you want a boost gauge on a family SUV ??? Also my 17 STI does have a boost gauge from the factory.

Glad you like it so far as for MPG should start to go up the more you drive it Turbo motors always take longer to break-in

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m glad boost gauges came back and if they have a ton of unnecessary gauges why not a useful one?

Thank you for your reply and insight on turbos I’ve been very nice to the car being my first turbo even though small

Curious if at any point during break in you should drive it faster or harder for a short time to break in higher revs? Does that do anything?

And yup electric tape was the answer
On six cabin lights
On my new touring
Instead of a button that’s on every vehicle ever

I feel like I’m missing something...

·
Registered
225 Posts
The captains chairs don't fold as flat and the bench seat. Their design padding makes them arch up a bit. We have the bench and it's almost completely flat.

I've never met a car manufacturer who makes a decent mapping system. When Chrysler partnered with Garmin, that was possibly the best system map system I ever used. It was a short lived partnership that was costing them too much. I also never used the built in maps and relied on my cellphone. Android Auto with Waze is the way to go. You can also download offline maps if you go to remote areas in Google maps.

My last car didn't let me turn off the cabin lights when opening the door. I'd say if this is a real issue. Pull out the bulbs or get some sweat red LED's for child def-con 3 mode.

I'm 6'4" and fit in the second row just fine. I mean its not minivan leg space, but better than an commercial aircraft economy seat I've sat in. The third row isn't even a possibility for anyone about 6 foot.

Honestly the all weather mats are garbage and I can't wait to get rid of them for some weather techs. Being in the midwest you just end up getting a salt ring around the edged of them. They don't cover nearly enough. The second and third row ones are so dinky The passenger one has no clips and slides back and forth. Money is in the accessories that is why they don't include them.

As for the glass protection....I took a hard pass. In fact I passed on all the add on protection packages. They are usually not worth it and profit boosters for the dealer.

My Insurance policy has a $0 deductible for comprehensive damage. Cracks and chips in the glass are covered by that policy and I have no out of pocket cost. I've gone through 3 windshields on my last car. They were always replaced with factory glass without issue.

Let me know when the turn signal's annoy you. Unless I take a 90 degree turn my lever never cancels itself and I have to turn them off manually.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was definitely referring to the third row and myself having to recline and use the middle space and it being impossibru except just barely with your head nicely secured by the roof helmet they handily added free of charge.

Ya I messed up on the crosstrek
Switched insurance companies to liberty mutual and forgot to carry over the window and glass and I will be for this new vehicle. Ended up through three windshields in two years not happy
(250000 miles)

DEFCON sounds great if not possible haha

Can’t pull the plugs cause kids would inevitably need them someday... might though...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate the insight on the weather mats mine from the crosstrek did get pretty worn down and I remember older cars having better ones

Specifically I remember I got back from deployment had a new caddy cts and had just put These all weather giants in and buddy vomited day one

The mat caught everything I was pissed and thrilled all at the same time
...He still paid to detail my car...

·
Registered
978 Posts
The impreza was always too small for me even when I was single. Just too many ski trips, camping and sailing towing the racing sail boat up and down the West Coast. I’m 5’11 175 and felt the Imprezas were snug. At over 6ft you must have been wearing that XV like a nice sport coat. LOL

All the camping and sailing Regattas I do I’ve slept in the car maybe 6 times since 1995. All were solo snoozes. 4runner and Sequoia never slept in my Subaru.

We use the 3rd row in our Sequoia about 12 times a yr its a Bench 2nd row. We run 5 ie three in the 2nd row in our Subaru Outback and the Sequoia pretty much 2-3 times a week and often road trips and camping trips where the gear is behind the 2nd row and five people are with us. I honestly don’t see CC working for us at all. Because seating 5 without 3rd row is something we do allot. And the 5th being jammed in the back with all the gear isn’t ideal.

So no option to turn the dome light to off vs Door mode to prevent lights going on in the Ascent?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry, to better state

I read on many websites and reviews that the road noise produced at highway speeds while inside the vehicle were a lot.

I do NOT find this to be true
Although maybe the highlander for example is quieter that’s in part due to thick heavy interior leather trim by the firewall areas where Subaru is plastic molds

Again o thought even up to 80 was quite nice on the road and even quiet

But comparing last three prior vehicles
2015 crosstrek
2005 Jeep GC
2007 caddi cts v (this took the cake in most fields of comfort) but I wouldn’t afford it over a Subaru unless I had throw away money and I don’t at all

So again
Expected to be noisier from reviews
Drive at 80 which is the highway speed here and it was nice and smooth throughout

Even has plenty of passing capability while being very nice to it’s pedals still

·
Registered
18 Posts
Biggest pet peeves: can’t seem to turn off interior cabin lights when exiting the vehicle , this woke my newborn many times already
This is a problem, not a feature, see my post here: https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...s-problems/1915-problem-list-7.html#post33097

The cargo cover is kinda BS as you can see right through on the sides shade for groceries but not privacy... not happy SOA
Totally agree. Anyone want to buy a cargo cover??

Oh and maps wtf are we really going back years? You have to select certain regions? No Subaru without WiFi I want the North American and Canada Maps built in the extra SD card space weighs nothing compared to other things and hen no need for cell service connections or cafes in the boonies
Maps are all there -- I think -- you just have to specify regions for update (still a pain), but I assume you know that you can connect to your home wifi to get the updates.

·
Registered
631 Posts
+400 over invoice?? Dick Hannah Subaru did invoice price for me with nothing special required. Pre-ordered the ascent back in March.

I'm surprised Costco program was+$400

·
Registered
24 Posts
Definitely got a sweet deal then

At least as compared to read posts, did that come with all weather mats, all the interior Seat protectors and trays and roof rack?

Certainly sad to see it’s not the lowest but if you wanted to send me actual numbers I can actually get it refunded

A perk of the Costco auto program and utilizing USAA

I am currently desperately searching for this literature but to tired and will attempt finding tomorrow

There can be small costs differences within a range according to Costco’s website based on zip code but the pricing is set by manufacturer and then options can be added

But also I know I paid a certain amount extra for a basically convenience charge for not using the right dealership

Which also exempts me from this guarantee if it’s costco

It’s not that we couldn’t wait

It’s that things in life are absolutely nuts right now so circumstances said it was all better to do now

We walked in with a number and they said yes

To be clear this was cheaper if we used Costco and waited four plus months for the car

1 - 14 of 14 Posts