All New 2.4L Turbo Subaru Engine for Ascent - Subaru Ascent Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

All New 2.4L Turbo Subaru Engine for Ascent

A lot of people are talking about the new 2.4L Turbo that Subaru has shown off for their new Ascent. Nobody has any idea of what the power output is but of course, speculation is flying.

Another reason there's so much interest in this engine is that it could potentially be fitted into the next STI and we all know how diehard Subie enthusiasts are haha.

I'm speculating close to the 300hp range especially for an SUV this size. Car and Driver apparently said "greater than 250hp" which is a big "duh"

What do you guys think?

Took a little snap from Reddit :
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 11:15 AM

Someone made a reasonable estimation assuming that power and torque increases in a linear fashion.

Quote:
f you assume it's a 2.4L version of the existing 2.0L WRX engine, AND assume that power and torque increase in a linear fashion as a function of engine volume, then it'd be 322 HP and 310 FT-LBs.
My guess is that they'll tune it a bit higher, say 335/315, but it'll still be less than the Focus RS.
322 HP sounds very reasonable for the Ascent though I'm not sure if a heavy SUV body was taken into account.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Putting that into a three-row SUV and it should suffice to be enough power if that were to be the case of course. If it's an FA based engine though, I would be a little skeptical as they're engines have been under-going some issues that I'm not too sure have been all ironed out yet. Bearings is one thing that was a big problem that they actually corrected after 4 years of running it. The FA is after all a new engine platform for them.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
Someone made a reasonable estimation assuming that power and torque increases in a linear fashion.

322 HP sounds very reasonable for the Ascent though I'm not sure if a heavy SUV body was taken into account.
Where and how it makes power and what Subaru has done to improve power getting from the engine to wheels along with weight reduction will all help here.

Now we just need more insight on those areas. This being Subaru i'm not too worried. If it was Kia... different story.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 04:28 PM

I think peak torque around 2000-4000rpm is a good range? Enough to help you accelerate quickly from a dead stop and you wouldn't have to try that hard to pass other vehicles on the freeway.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Freeway wise, you'll naturally be sitting in the close to 3000rpm range which means having peak torque around 4000rpm would still be okay, because when you drop the pedal, the gear kickdown would place you at that.

But being around 2000rpm would make it a lot better for city driving but would prove to give you a loss of power uptop around the 4000-5000rpm range.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 09:58 AM

Not sure what the potential curb weight of the Ascent will be (4,000 - 4100lb?), but I am hoping for 300HP/300TQ minimum. I don't want it to turn out to be a heavier SUV with a weak engine.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Agreed. That'll be just sufficient for what they would need to get it moving, easily. Anything less and I feel like it would be applying too much stress to the drivetrain components.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 05:52 PM

322 HP should be more than enough to get a 4,000 pound SUV going from a dead stop without feeling strained. But I doubt maximum torque will be on tap at around 2000 rpm, that's more of an off-road car territory isn't it?
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Typically off-road or diesel powered to be in that lower range. Turbo vehicles are more within the 2800-3200rpm range if not slightly more than that. But not by much.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page